OMD E-M1 Grid Lines Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sushi, Jan 2, 2014.

1. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    Hello, sorry if this an amateur question but I've noticed that the grid lines (rule of thirds) on the E-M5 are a bit pinched in the middle,

alienskinsnapart47original-3.

Compared to the GX7

alienskinsnapart47original-4.

**Pictures are from http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wo...ttle-for-my-affection-round-1-ibis-evfs-lcds/

Can someone help me confirm whether the E-M1 has similar grid lines like the E-M5? and whether I could customize it so that it'll look like the grid lines on the GX7.

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The E-M1 has similar grid lines, I can find no way to adjust them.

The grid is 'pinched in' in all AR's.

BTW...It says nothing about 'rule of thirds'......although it would seem logical......:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    Chicago
    +1 for the "pinched grid"

I don't know of any way to adjust it either, but I prefer the pinched grid. When using it for composition, it allows me a decent margin of error when I process the image.

Most of my photography is architectural, so I shoot a lot of wide-angle shots. In post, I often lose a significant amount of the image after correcting for distortion and perspective, especially when I shoot at extreme (non-level) angles. So at least for me, the grid lines make me shoot wider, but leave me the option to crop it out later - and still have the image (more or less) that I intended to capture.

I suspect that actually might be the purpose behind the pinched grid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.