1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD & Dust On Sensors

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marklikesit, Oct 23, 2012.

1. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Guys,

I don't have any dust on my 3 month old OM-D yet but I was just talking to a rep at the store the other day and he has an OM-D as well.

He was saying that OM-D's never get dust on the sensor unless the user pretty much puts it there by touching it or blowing into the camera body. Apparently Olympus' tech on dust shaking is pretty awesome and they patented that technology big time.

Just wondering, how many of you have had to get your OMD sensors cleaned out?

Mark

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    im sorry, thats the kind of bologne that you'd expect from a rep. There are many people including myself who had dust on their OMD sensor and have had to send it olympus to get it cleaned. Im not saying the dust shaker is useless, its quite good actually, but you can and will get dust on the sensor unless you never change lenses and dont go anywhere near flowers with a pneumatic zoom. Dust will happen

Edit: also, unless you shoot macros, you would probably never see dust on the sensor. For a dust particle to be apparent at wider than f8 wihout auto-leveling in photoshop, its gotta be big/under the sensor cover. The rep probably takes that into consideration when he says you wont get dust.

• Like Like x 1
  3. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Dang. How long have you had your OM-D for?

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    since april fools day

5. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    And you got sensor dust already?? :( man. So we're looking at a clean every 6 months on average. How long is the turnaround time for cleaning with Olympus?

6. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    To be fair though, I saw that rep's omd - he bought it into work. He was one of those that gave up his FF canon kit for an omd setup.

He already knows I have an omd and we were just chatting about the 75mm when I suddenly popped the question to him about sensor dust. That's when he answered:" man, after ownin and selling so many EM-5's I've never ever come across sensor dust. The only time you're gonna get gunk on there is if you blew into the sensor and that blob is part saliva, not dust". Those were his words.

Edit: he was claiming that the dust shake tech made it impossible to get regular dust on it.

7. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I haven't had the E-M5 for long, but I never had a dust issue with the E-PL2 despite using a bunch of legacy lenses on it over almost 1 year of use. When doing the same thing on a DSLR, I had to blow off dust after 2-3 lens changes. Whatever Olympus is doing to keep dust off the sensor worked great for me.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I wouldn't say that you have to clean it every six month. Depends on your habits, what you shoot, where you shoot, and most of all your luck I guess. I just don't like the idea of saying that the OMD sensor is impervious to dust, because its not. When we say dust, we mean anythings thats not suppose to be on the sensor, that includes pollens, dead skin, soil dust (thats probably what he means by "regular dust"), oil ..... some are stickier than others and no amount of shaking will get rid of it.

I understand that the rep is excited about the OMD, and he should be, and he might have honestly never seen anyone complain about dust on their OMD sensor, but to say it cant happen unless you're stupid enough to blow into the sensor chamber is a gross exaggeration.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The likelihood of getting dust on a sensor will be highly dependent on how you use it and in what conditions you use it in. Sometimes it can just be the bad luck of something nasty being blown onto the sensor for the split second that it was exposed. I do believe however that the Olympus SSWF system of cleaning the sensor is one of the very best around. I have manually cleaned dust off the sensors on numerous Canon DSLRs, but in over two years of reasonably heavy use with various Micro 4/3 cameras, and a similar amount of time of occasional use of various 4/3 cameras, I have only had to clean one speck of dust off the sensor of an E-P1 which was already there when I bought it used. I'm not always the most careful when it comes to changing lenses either.

10. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    That really puts me at ease man. Thanks!:bravo-009:

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The Rep from Cleveland said almost the exact same thing word-for-word to me about a month ago when I posed the same question to him. They may sincerely believe it, but it is the official Olympus answer to the question.

When pressed, the second tier answer is that Olympus can clean it under warranty if necessary.

When pressed further about after the warranty runs out he fumbled into something like "by then most people would just buy a new body".

12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's plainly ridiculous! :mad:

13. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Agreed. That's crazy. How long did you guys on the warranty? I Think i only have 1 year on it.

Considering that regular camera shops can't clean this OM-D sensor without risking damage, that warranty is pretty darn short.

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    • Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've shot with m43 for 3 years, and never felt the need to clean a sensor, very UNLIKE my Canons -- even the ones WITH anti-dust sensor shake. Oly's got a very good system.

16. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Which other M4/3 cameras have you used besides Olympus?

17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    RIGHT! The "dust" that gets stuck on the sensor is sticky dust, like pollen.

For the record I've never had to clean any of my "E" cameras (I have three of them not including the E-M5s), and my oldest I got in 2005.

Granted all of those cameras had a shutter and a mirror in front of the sensor.

Best thing you can do is turn OFF the camera when changing lenses; the sensor generates static when on, and that's what attracts the dust in the first place...remember the camera s designed to work without knowing there's a lens attached, so while you CAN change lenses with the power on, you are begging for a filthy sensor!

18. ^^^ Great advice! Since finding out that you can't do DIY cleaning on the E-M5 sensor I'm going to remember to be extra careful with it.

19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Same here. I'm very careless and change lenses quite frequently (3-4 times per session). I use adapted lenses so lots of remove the lens, set down camera (with no cover at all) fiddle with lens/adapter, swap lenses, etc. On my E-P1 the dut buster thingy only activates when I power cycle with the SDcard removed so it rarely is used (maybe once a month on acccident). I only recall finding dust signs in am inage like 5 times last years and that was shooting at F8+ with bright backgrounds.

Never cleaned the sensor and I only buy used cameras (E-P1x2+E-P2). Oh, yeah, lot's of macro and old wheezy legacy zoom lenses, too.

Lenses I'm very careful to get the caps/covers on quickly but cameras ... unless you count that one time I dropped (actually fell out of the bag) the F0.95 Navitar 25mm c-mount onto the rocks and into the tide pool.

20. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Rob, shouldn't it be the other way around? Ie, can take time with putting caps on lenses, and fast with covering up the body/sensor? Lenses are really easy to clean... Please explain?