1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD does sports

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DavidAllan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DavidAllan

DavidAllan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Shelton, CT
    Bought the OMD then took it to steelers training camp the next day. Did not get a chance to learn the camera very well, so left it in sports mode or auto most of the time. Took these with the 75-300mm Olympus hand held and zoomed between 275-300. No post processing besides resizing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nice shots - as a Steeler fan I really appreciate these! :biggrin:

3. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    Cool pics, this gives me more confidence in the omd for sports!

4. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Not to be a "Negative Nancy," but these look like they could have been taken with any point-and-shoot. Have you seen actual sports photos before? These are the kind of action shots you expect for "sports" photography. I'm still not feeling any mirrorless system for anything that requires continuous autofocus. Sport photography, probably more so than any other genre, is massively gear dependent. Even prosumer DSLRs like the Canon 60D can't properly do sports.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidAllan

DavidAllan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Shelton, CT
    The Biles.....Your actual sports photos, the ones I looked at were taken with a 5D MarkIII, but I could not tell what lens you used. No doubt they are outstanding pictures. However, I took mine at approx 600mm equivalent, hand held, from over 50 yards away. For my use and family travel albums the quality of the images is just fine. I'm sure that as I become more familiar with the camera my results will improve. Being a Canon user myself, I am quite aware how much I would have to spend to get the equivalent of a 600mm zoom and since I do not make any money taking my pictures....I do it for fun and family memories....there is no way I could justify the cost factor involved in upgrading my canon gear. All that said, I think that for the average "Joe" who is not making money taking pictures and who can't afford the top Canon stuff, this is a quite capable option. As far as point and shoot getting the same result, I was taking pics next to some people who had point and shoots. We checked out each others pics and they didn't have anywhere near the zoom range I had with this lens.

6. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

Biles shots were taken with a EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III (it's in the EXIF data on Flickr).

He's right, the EM-5, while great for other things, is a poor choice for action sports. That is, assuming, one has a choice.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I agree ... "assuming, one has a choice." is well stated. I've been shooting youth soccer with the OM-D, it is much more difficult and I missed probably 50% more shots due to the lack of a working C-AF for subjects moving as fast as a five year old. I think I've shown you 'can' do it, but it would be easier with a greater consistency rate of keepers with a dSLR. (I normally shoot sports with a 1Ds which is what I am comparing the OM-D.)

These were all shot with the OM-D in SAF and I was constantly pumping the focus button to update focus.

SAF, Smallest Focus Box, Center Fixed focus box, No IBIS, In either Manual or Aperture Priority, most in M ...

[​IMG]
    Pany 100-300 @ 286mm, ISO 400, 1/1000, f/6.7

P7190110.
    Pany 45 - 200 @ 200mm, ISO 1600, 1/500, f/5.6

2CBL5018.
    Oops, This was with a 1DsMKII, use as a comparison/ 300mm

[​IMG]
    Pany 45 - 200 @ 200mm, ISO 400, 1/3000, f/5.6

P7100222.
    Pany 45 - 200 @ 100mm, ISO 400, 1/1500, f/4

[​IMG]
    Pany 100 - 300 @ 223mm, ISO 400, 1/2000, f/5.1

Gary

• Like Like x 3
  8. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

Oh, and to address the comment about "these look like they could have been taken with any point-and-shoot."

Yes, they do, but that is mainly due to poor framing and choice of too slow of a shutter-speed, IMO.

The posted shots were taken at base ISO, which left plenty of room for faster shutter speeds, and the difficulty in framing with such a long focal length could have been easily overcome by cropping in post-process. The EM-5 has more than enough resolution to make cropping easy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavidAllan

DavidAllan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Shelton, CT
    That is a great combo..the 5DIII and the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II lens. I only wish that is something I could afford, but since it isn't I am going to learn this camera the best I can to take good shots of my son playing sports and our family photos and travel. I Understand that there are much better choices for sports photography and if I was strictly a sports photographer I would have chosen another option.

10. DavidAllan

DavidAllan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Shelton, CT
    Thanks for the tips and I will be taking the camera off of the auto settings soon. My son starts his football season the second week of September so by then I hope to have better quality football shots!

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think DavidAllan's shots highlight one of the issues with the E-M5, and really any current EVF I suppose, except maybe on the Nikon 1 (haven't shot them).

You will tend to shoot wider to keep the action in the frame, as you can't keep track of it so well through the EVF. The sports shooter rule is usually "shoot tight; crop tighter". That just doesn't work for me with the E-M5 so far.

12. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    They were taken with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II with the EF 2x extender, so a 140-400 f/5.6 IS zoom. Much more expensive than the morrorless setup by far, but sports photography is one of those ridiculously expensive genres of photography.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    No the OM-D is not great for sports photography - but how many P&S cameras have a 600mm equivalent lens? Even some of those that might have the reach produce photos lacking in detail because of the sensor size. These are pretty impressive hand-held at that range. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. DavidAllan

DavidAllan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Shelton, CT
    Jeeez! I guess it's a good thing I'm not a "sports photographer"! It's just that my son happens to play football. He is a one sport kid, and I cannot afford to upgrade my Canon stuff so that I have image stabilization in all my lenses (I don't seem to be as stedy as I used to be) I liked some of the other things I saw in this particular set up so I am going to make it work for my needs. No, I don't sell photos...never have. I like to make nice family albums and I think this will do the job just fine for me. As I learn the ins and outs of the camera, my images will improve. Yes...that means my sports images also!

I just experimented with the macro mode of the 12-50 kit lens also. I will look at them on computer later but seems like it did a good job. Oh...maybe tomorrow morning I will take the OMD to my sons practice and see what I can do with it there. Maybe try some cropping and post processing before I put any of the pics up here though. I seem to have gotten a few good tips today so we shall see!

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Keep at it man. I'm going to try as well with the E-M5, though I have a very cheap Canon set up (40D + 55-250) for outdoor stuff that I can fall back on.

Also keep in mind that most folks agree that IS is not needed for sports, as hopefully your shutter is fast enough that it won't matter. Not sure having it turned on with the E-M5 is a good or bad thing, but worth trying both ways I think.

What Canon gear do you have? Shooting some stuff side-by-side with the E-M5 would be an interesting show and tell. I plan to do that in a few weeks when soccer begins.

16. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Great shots! May I know what settings were being used? Thanks.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Sure, I'll go back and amend my images with that info.

[​IMG]
    OM-D w/Pany 45-200 @ 150mm, ISO 400, 1/350, f/8

18. DavidAllan

DavidAllan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Shelton, CT
    I know a lot of people say that IS is not needed for sports, but I have used a canon 200mmf2.8L NON IS with my 50D and it is very hard for me to get steady shots even with high shutter speeds. Maybe didn't use high enough speeds, I don't know. I also used a 50mm 1.4 and got great shots....although much wider. I have always shot with canon, even back before digital. Then I got the 30D which I sold and got the 50D which I have now.

Anyway, we will see tomorrow. My son has practice and I will be taking the OMD with the 75-300. I will be a lot closer to him than I was at steeler camp so I won't have to zoom to the 300mm length. Ill try and put some pics up here later tomorrow or sunday.

19. Michael49

Michael49 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2010
    New England
    You don't need super expensive gear to take decent sports photos. Taken with a Canon 40d and a 200 f/2.8 mkI....

932786373_fewhA-XL.

20. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    The general rule of thumb is that your minimum shutter speed should be at least 1/(effective focal length), so it would be 1/320s for that lens on your 50D. For most sports, you usually want to shoot at around 1/500s to 1/1000s, which is plenty fast to avoid camera shake.