1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD does airshow - RIAT 2013

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Iansky, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I went to the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT 2013) yesterday, now the biggest airshow in the world - stunning weather (cloudy start, blue sky and sun + 32 centigrade later)!

As always, a great airshow with many static aircraft and a solid flying display from 1000 - 1800hrs solid so 8hrs of flying, brilliant!

I was apprehensive about shooting this with the OMD after years of using full frame with great AF - I tried AFC + AFC Tracking but neither were very effective so switched to AFS and panned and that worked much better even with fast jet action.

I stuck with the Pany 100-300 and it was superb and the results speak for themselves - I did limit myself rather than fire away and ended up with 124 keepers (the man next to me shooting for a magazine with 8 frames per sec had shot 3800 images before I left...........some heavy editing ahead for him).

I am still frustrated with the AFC / Tracking but know now I can capture what I want with AFS so even more convinced I did the right thing swapping full frame for OMD kit.

Here are some of the images, the rest will be on my site soon.

Great camera & lens combo :2thumbs:

A400_plus_Reds.

Reds_6.

Reheat_On.

Tornado.

Vulcan_4.

The_famous_3.

Lancaster.

Hurricane.

• Like Like x 11
  2. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    FANTASTIC..... I love the Vulcan shot just landing/taking off.

The images with the three WW2 planes. Are they the Hurricane, Lancaster and a Spitfire?

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This should be a featured thread

Stunning job Ian.. I love them all . Mods ... Please make this thread a featured post please :2thumbs::2thumbs::drinks:

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    wow very nice......I'm a bit surprised that the Panny could keep up with fighter jet. I can barely get mine to focus on a slow moving bird

5. Bhupinder2002

Sam ... I think OMD and Panasonic lens had Ian to give them company at air show :2thumbs::wink:

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Yeah, no kidding. They were in good hands :)

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Man it's great to see that Vulcan flying - so much history in that aircraft! :smile:

Dambuster Tornado shot rocks! :cool:

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Terrific work Ian, all great shots. Love the Hurricane. I've seen Spitfires fly, but never a Hurricane. I'm envious.

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Ian, wonderful workmanship.

You caught the coveted after-burner action on some of them.

10. Bhupinder2002

Please make this thread Featured thread:2thumbs::2thumbs:

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wow........thank you all for the kind words and great feedback.

The trick I used for getting the image in focus was to pan and continuously tap the shutter in AFS mode so the green centre square was on the aircraft and in focus and when the aircraft was where I wanted, depress fully to grab the shot.

Needless to say, I did miss some and despite what they say, trying to pan, focus and get a shot of the Red Arrows doing a cross over just did not work..........you need AFC with good tracking and no shutter lag for that and even trying to pre-empt the shot did not work!

Despite that, I am delighted as I feared my days of shooting fast jets in flight at airshows was over when I let my full frame go but no..............the OMD delivers and with the 100-300 makes a great tool that is not too tiring to carry for 8-9hrs straight.

Phil, yes the combo of 3 is the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane - the Vulcan was landing and kept his nose up as long as possible to slow down rather than use the chute, the Vulcan is purely funded by charity with some support from Rolls Royce & BAE but requires some major work to the leading edges of the wings, RAF Cranfield Scientists think they have developed a solution but unless they can get funding, this may well have been it's last display ever.....beautiful aircraft.

The Lancaster, Hurricane & Spitfire are all part of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight so are maintained and flown by serving RAF pilots, great and very nostalgic spectacle and that sound of the Rolls Royce Merlins!

The airshow was totally sold out for the 2 days it was on and the money goes to a charity to support the RAF Benevolent Fund!

Bhupinder, thanks for your kind words and I will be delighted if the mods do make this a featured post....fingers crossed.

Just want Oly to sort out phase detection then I will be happy!!

I will put a link up to the rest of my airshow images for interested parties once I have added them to my site.

Thank you all again for the feedback.

Mu43 Rules!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am going to add to the compliments of your photos too.

They are certainly a great set & thanks for the explanation for getting them too. :2thumbs:

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    This sounds similar to what Gary (Ayala) described for shooting sports with the E-M5. However, as I understand it, he has Fn1 set to act as the AEL/AFL button and the AEL/AFL mode set such that he gets AFL only from the AEL/AFL button (Fn1, here) and AEL from the half-press of the shutter release. He pumps the Fn1 button with his thumb as he pans to keep the focus locked, and then presses the shutter release when he wants to take a shot. Haven't had a chance to try it, as I read it after my last action shoot, but it sounds interesting.

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Not tried Gary's set up but certainly may do, I do not often (probably 3-4 times a year) shoot fast moving objects so have not bothered setting up the OMD to replicate Gary's set up but if it is good enough for him, it is more than good enough for me.

Must remember to do it though!

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have that (Fn1) set for when using MF setting (which is set to toggle from S-AF+MF with the Rec button), so it is an easy thing to switch to it when needed (but the harder thing is to remember to do it).

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Ross and Carpandean, I will get round to looking at this but as I said previously, I shoot very few events requiring fast AF but at least I know it works.

Appreciate all the feedback and tips and I can now also endorse the OMD+100-300 for airshow work!!

17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This is amazing airshow. Great set thanks for sharing.

18. Michael in China

Michael in China Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2012
    Zhuhai China
    Michael
  19. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    My compliments, those are some great shots!
    I'm taking my G5+100-300 to an airshow later this summer. If I come home with crappy pictures I now know I can only blame myself :rolleyes:

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good luck

Thanks Sam,

Good luck with the shoot, the 100-300 is a superb lens and perfect for airshow work.

I am sure the G5 will deliver for you and I wish you luck and lots of fun and I am sure we all look forward to seeing the results.

Enjoy