1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD-disappointing ergonomics

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by spinyman, May 3, 2012.

1. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I just got my new OMD an hour ago.After messing with it for the hour, I almost packed it back up.First of all, it is shockingly small.When gripping the camera,my bottom two fingers are off the bottom of the body.Also the back protruding grip is too far to the right to work unless my hand is shifted awkwardly right.Also that right lug is exactly in the wrong place and irritates my third finger as well.The worst thing for me is this.I am left-eyed and while looking through the viewfinder,my nose is pushed up against my right thumb so much that it restricts my breathing through my right nostril and heats up my face.Very uncomfortable.Also, because my nose is right there, it renders the back dial useless unless I pull the camera away from my face.If I was an LCD shooter, it wouldn't matter.Honestly,the back dial of my G3, with it's dual use for both aperture and exposure comp, as well as magnification, seems much easier and as fast to use as the dual dials.Because of the weird gripping position, the camera feels very unbalanced with any of my legacy lenses.
    It is ironic that there was so much chatter regarding the ergonomics of the G3,and yet,my G3 is a dream to hold compared to this camera.Even my E-p1 is much more comfortable and assured in the hand.
    I think that the optional grip and the optional evf rubber piece would go a long way towards making it more comfortable for me.I have them on order.
    I'll charge up the battery and take some shots and see if I can adjust to the new camera, and if it is worth it.I'm sure it is superior in many ways to my G3,it will be the handling that will make or break it for me.It IS a beautifully made camera, if a little toyish looking, because of the small size.The evf is comparable to the G3,that is, excellent.

Please do not miscontrue me.These are highly personal observations and the camera does not need defending..[​IMG]"1024" height="623" alt="Olympus E-M5 vs Panasonic G3"></a>[/IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It Was Posted Around The Blogs ...

and review sites that left eyed shooters would have problems.

3. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Oddly, it's not been an issue for this left eyed, big faced shooter.

spinyman - I agree, the camera is really frikkin small. IMHO the grip really transforms it for me providing a perch for my ring and pinkie fingers in landscape mode. In portrait mode the battery well is a comfortable grip for all four fingers. Even with the grip, the camera is still really compact, but it handles my old Canon FD glass much better. If you have the means, I'd suggest checking out the grip.

edit: reread your OP and saw that you have the grip on order - I think it'll really change your relationship with the camera. I'm aslo using the larger eyepiece and it's a bit of a tunnel, but it does provide me more z-axis space off the camera's back.

4. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Me thinks it sounds like more of a nose issue. :rofl:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'm a left eyed shooter and have no problems at all. It has also been said that eyeglass wearers would have problems with the eye-cup, which is just fine by this eyeglass wearer, much better than using the VF-2. True, light gets in behind the glasses' lens, but no eye-cup in the world is going to solve that problem.

The camera was said from the start to be VERY small, so I don't understand the surprise that it is --- very small. I find the controls easy to use, and I'm left eyed. I don't, however, have large hands.

6. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    think cooper,
    Good to hear that the grip and eyecup will make all the difference.
    Laurence,
    I saw all the photos of the cam,knew it was very small,but seeing it and handling it was still a bit of a surprise, I admit.Nothing like seeing something in the flesh.
    Rstrader,
    I've been told I have a petite nose,haha!

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Honestly, the OM-D in my opinion needs to be gripped.

8. The actual size of the E-M5 will surprise when you see it and hold it for the first time. I originally found any m4/3 camera awkward to handle when I first started using them (my prior experience was with a Canon 50D) but I'm fairly comfortable with the shrink-wrapped size now. My biggest "breakthrough" in adapting my style for more compact cameras was using a grip that places my thumb on the shutter button and forefinger on the front control wheel (only available on the G1, GH1, E-M5, and Canon G1X). This method does however preclude use of a viewfinder which was just another adaptation to the smaller format.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I don't have the OMD (sigh ...), but I have found more often than not that the placement of the right side lug mounts get in the way of my right hand.

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I hate those plastic lugs so I took them off. My hand is smaller so only my pinky is off the body. At first I found it hard to grip too but I think I have gotten use to it now. It is not as comfortable as the GH though. I just pretended I was left eyed and tried it out... Feels really cramp.

11. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    This is what is sad about not having brick and mortar stores around to try things before we buy them.

I'm very happy with my OM-D, but would have been very disappointed if I didn't like the way it felt after selling my 5d.

Hope you can find comfort and make peace with the OM-D ...

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I agree that the camera is unbalanced with larger lenses, at least until you add the horizontal grip. With the grip, it seemed reasonable, at least for my small hands.

But it certainly is a small camera.

DH

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've been shooting since the 1960's, for more than a decade and a half of that time, I shot every work day as a news photog. I have yet to hold and shoot a camera that I couldn't adapt to and usually quite easily. (And I wear glasses, shoot with both eyes, a flat nose from smashing it against the back of the camera and at the end of my wrists are small-chubby yet regal hands ...)

Gary

PS- If you have a black body, I will be quite happy to take it off your hands ... breathing out of one nostril is terribly dangerous.
    G

• Like Like x 2
  14. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I may have been too quick to judge.Tomorrow I'll actually shoot some frames and try to get more comfortable with it.I'll also keep my shots under the 200 limit just in case I decide I can't live with it and it needs to go back to B&H.I hope the grip comes soon.
    Gary,if It was a job, I'm sure I could adapt to it.Also, if I could shoot with both eyes,the problem would be solved.Supply seems to have loosened up now,I'm sure the bodies only will be shipping very soon.Btw,I love the sliding LCD so much more than my g3 articulating screen.In a second,bam,it's down and ready for hip shots.

15. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    @Spinyman
    I have the same feelings as you in reference to the size. I am a left eye shooter which it does not really bother me on the OMD. The big issue I have is that I have very long fingers and they feel so cramped especially trying to use the Fn1 button and the shutter button at the same time.
    I am going to order the grip today and see if that helps. Also which eyepiece are you talking about?
    THanks!

16. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel

Not true :wink: this is best thing I've discovered back in film days, very comfortable and natural for me! Of course the nose is sometime causing issues, but I had similar problem even on bigger body Canon 50E :biggrin:

17. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Many of these smaller cameras are not so easy to hold. I tend to be very forgiving of ergonomics, but I must say for SLRs I love Nikon. The smaller mirrorless models have been hit and miss for me, but I look at it from the image quality and functionality point of view for the most part. If I'm happy with the image quality, I'm more likely to forget about ergonomics. I'm pleased with the E-M5 image quality. I will say though that the biggest issue for me regarding ergonomics is the right-hand neck strap stud. It really does get in my way a lot, but it's nothing that I can't deal with. I care most about the pictures, not what the camera feels like in my hand (unless it's so poorly laid out that you just can't use it).

18. LP's visual guide on how to hold and shoot an E-M5 :smile:

P5020107-PRR.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TDP

TDP Guest

:2thumbs:

Thumbs up for thumb trigger

20. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    The thumb trigger does feel better! But do you use your Fn1 button for anything? We need a thread on how everyone has their buttons programed with a pic. I am coming from an old Canon 10D and my brain is in overload with all the options.

• Like Like x 1