1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD dead pixel...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thisisanton, Dec 22, 2012.

1. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had the E-M5 since July and has been great so far. Traveled around Europe and nothing was wrong. A few weeks back I noticed there was a dead pixel on the LCD/EVF and it shows up in the pictures. I see it probably 50% of the time. I would shut off the camera and it would go away, then it would come back. It cant be the lens cause I've tried 4 different lenses and same issue. Could the sensor be dirty? I'm not really sure. Does anyone know if Olympus covers this in their warranty?

I know it's only 1 pixel, but it's bloody annoying. Especially for a $1,000 camera.

Thanks.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Run pixel mapping located in the menu Gear K.

If you sent it into Olympus they'd do exactly the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    The dead pixels will reveal themselves more after the sensor gets warm. Find the pixel mapping function in the menus and execute it. That should mask your pixel, but make sure the camera has been turned on and up to temp. Keep it running and don't let it sleep for ten minutes or longer. If after running the mapping feature its still there, send it to Oly.

There are more dead pixels in your camera than you know, they've just been masked before they left the factory. It's a manufacturing reality to all Electro Optical Sensors (EOS).

5. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys! That seemed to do the trick. I did not know that feature existed.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    We're lucky as Olympus owners...owners of most other brands have to send their camera back to the manuafacturer to have that done.

7. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    It's a nice feature to have in-camera. With Nikon, you can do that, but only if you use Nikon Capture.

8. alolywu

alolywu Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Yes, the pixel remapping is an amazing feature for Olympus. Very innovative for sure.

9. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Anyone know how the dead pixel mapping process works? I've accidentally triggered it on a brand new camera While reviewing menus on the em1. had a lens on without a cap, so if it needed a completely dark scene, it didn't have one.
    Any way to undo a mapping?
    Thx.

10. Maybe just run it again whilst following their recommended procedure. Each time you run pixel mapping it should analyse the entire sensor from scratch.