OMD banding with 14mm f/2.5, 20mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pesto, Jul 18, 2012.

1. pesto

pesto New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm experiencing banding with the panasonic 14mm f/2.5 as well as the 20mm.

You can begin to see slight banding beginning at ISO 1600, I've owned and used a GF1 and EPL2 for the past 2 years and haven't seen any issues with these lenses before, albeit I never used super high ISO's on those older models.

Here are some pictures

14mm:

11:11 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

audience | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20mm:

red white and blue | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I do not see banding with my 50mm summicron at high ISO's, so I don't think it's solely my camera's fault.

2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    well.. it doesn't play nice with Panny pancakes :biggrin:

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Does it happen under all circumstances, or only sometimes? So far the shots I've seen of the 14/2.5 with banding tend to be in places with a high risk of electronic interference (lots of wiring, fluorescent lighting and whatnot).

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've done a bit of shooting with the 14mm at 3200 and even a few shots at 6400 and I don't get any banding. FWIW.

-Ray

5. tool

tool Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    These images are pushed in a raw-converter or another image-editing-software, aren't they?

6. pesto

pesto New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2012
    They're pushed in ACR, do you have any suggestions as to what raw editor I should use?

7. tool

tool Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    How many f-stops were they pushed?

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I don't see banding in any of these photo's, care to tell us where in the photo we're supposed to look to see it?

9. tool

tool Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    In the audience-image it is visible, but to me it seems, that the image has been pushed way more than 2 f-stops, that's just too much. A proper exposure should imo be in first place rather than pushing files over their limit.

10. pesto

pesto New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2012
    Yes, but banding is apparent in the other 2 even though they haven't been pushed over 1 stop.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Pushing a full stop still means being way off exposure. Should have bumped the ISO and exposed properly, as that will pretty much always give you better results than trying to push files in post.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    20mm has a known banding issue. I don't get any banding with the 14mm lens, but I don't do a lot of pushing.