1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Omd aspect ratio with fuji x100

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Omni, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Strange request I suppose but now that I'm shooting with 2 cameras I would love to keep the size of the photos the same - 4x3 or 3x2. I'm not really partial to either one but I feel like I've read somewhere tha the omd sensor does weird stuff with different ratios.

So my question is with these 2 cameras is there a common ratio I could be shooting with?

Thanks

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If you mean pixel dimensions, you should recall that the E-M5 is 16 MP, whereas the X100 is 12 MP. So, the E-M5 will have more pixels.

As for aspect ratios, of course that's tied to the sensor.

If you change your ratio on the E-M5 in RAW, it'll auto-crop when you import it to your photo processing software. If it's JPEG, it auto crops.

The E-M5 is native 4:3, so your photos will naturally come out 4:3. If you want 3:2, just select 3:2 in the Super Control Panel. Your EVF and LCD view will now show a pre-cropped view.

So yes, you can shoot whatever ratio you want on either camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The OM-D sensor (or any other :43: sensor for that matter) doesn't do anything weird at all. As drewbot explained, all :43: sensors crop the image to provide for other aspect ratios, besides the native 4/3.

The one exception is the GH2 sensor, which is multi-aspect. In fact, I consider perhaps the main advantage of the GH2 for still photography, since it allows you to keep a higher number of pixels regardless of aspect ratio. An explanation of what this means, and how it works, can be found in the graphic below:

GH1-sensor.

(I don't know where it originated, so I apologise that I cannot provide a direct link to the original article on this... :redface:)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.