OMD as X100

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Yep, I suspect that eventually I will find myself with some version of an X100. ProbblY not at the moment but the more responses I get the more I am starting to think that I simply cannot get where I want with the OMD.
Even assuming you COULD get the exact same result, I find the EXPERIENCE of shooting the X100 to be a large part of the joy. I enjoy the OMD, too. But two very different experiences. And the old X100 cameras should be plentiful and cheap. I have owned TONS of newer, faster, "better" cameras since the X100, but I enjoy interacting with and using the X100 more than the others (of course, YMMV).

tkbslc

Super Moderator
OM-D, 20mm f1.7 (or 17mm f1.8) and DxO Filmpack (Pan F plus 50, Acros 100 and APX 25 are my faves).

If you want SOOC, just use the B+W art filters and stop overthinking it. The Fuji might have a little more going for it SOOC, but it's not like it is going to magically transform everything into a frame-worthy shot.

theoldsmithy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin Connolly
That's interesting, part of what I like about the OMD is how nice it is to use. That said, I don't find the images (mostly BW) quite to my liking, but the nice usability and controls are so nice that I would like to figure out a way to get there.
Yes that's how I feel about my OMD now. The controls are excellent. I have a number of zooms but a nice 35-to-40-eq-ish prime would complement it nicely. (Not the Sigma 19, I didn't get on with that at all, I found the colour rendering and contrast distinctly odd). That said the 12-32 is a fine sharp lens and covers that range, it's just not fast.
I have a couple of presets (colour) that I use in LRCC to get the feel I want. Happy to share those. Otherwise for B&W I have a Silver Efex Pro preset that I use as a starting point but rarely end up there!

gr6825

Mu-43 Veteran
I think this makes sense, especially with the O17 pancake. It is very sad to me that this little pancake is not more popular. These days, the current trend seems to be "sharpness, sharpness, sharpness!" The O17 is not the sharpest, but I loved this little lens. Very pleasing images to my eye (color, contrast and OOF). But perhaps the biggest benefit is the small size. Really takes advantage of the M43 format.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The Fuji might have a little more going for it SOOC, but it's not like it is going to magically transform everything into a frame-worthy shot.
I have seen really nice BW from SOOC JPEGs with the OMD so I know it can be done. I like to think of it as a puzzle I need to solve. Ordinarily I would just move on but it was a gift so I feel obligated to stick with it. I have other cameras to use so it's not like it's stopping me from making images that I like.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I have seen really nice BW from SOOC JPEGs with the OMD so I know it can be done. I like to think of it as a puzzle I need to solve. Ordinarily I would just move on but it was a gift so I feel obligated to stick with it. I have other cameras to use so it's not like it's stopping me from making images that I like.
Firstly, I liked some of the BW images you posted from your E-M10. Secondly, maybe it is worth identifying the Olympus images you like from other forum members and ask them for their settings? It would give you a starting point which may be different from what you are using and then you could tweak further to your tastes.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Just need to mess with the JPEG settings in camera, then. Probably turn NR way down (B+W don't get color noise), sharpness up and contrast up and pick the right filter for the subject matter. For example, orange or red can be dramatic for landscapes, and yellow can sometimes improve portraits.

Maybe this helps a little?
Mastering Monochrome Mode - Digital Photography School

You can also shoot RAW+JPEG in mono, and you'll get a B+W JPEG with a normal RAW file. That can offer some nice flexibility.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Firstly, I liked some of the BW images you posted from your E-M10. Secondly, maybe it is worth identifying the Olympus images you like from other forum members and ask them for their settings? It would give you a starting point which may be different from what you are using and then you could tweak further to your tastes.
Good point, I'm just returning from a trip (and killing time while I wait) so once I get settled back home I'll do that.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just need to mess with the JPEG settings in camera, then. Probably turn NR way down (B+W don't get color noise), sharpness up and contrast up and pick the right filter for the subject matter. For example, orange or red can be dramatic for landscapes, and yellow can sometimes improve portraits.

Maybe this helps a little?
Mastering Monochrome Mode - Digital Photography School

You can also shoot RAW+JPEG in mono, and you'll get a B+W JPEG with a normal RAW file. That can offer some nice flexibility.
I'll look that link over, thanks.

emmef2

Mu-43 Regular
I have the E-P5 and the P20 and I also have the X100s and the three Sigmas DPM, The X100s is a great camera but I do not find it better than the Oly other than with High Iso. The X100s lens is less sharp than the P20 across the field and the Oly AF is just better than the Fuji one even when you use the EVF on the Fuji.
I only shoot RAW so I can't say about image quality of both cameras in Jpeg

D

Deleted member 20897

I had 2 X100 cameras the original and the X100T.

Sold them both and am happy with the OMD/PEN oly cameras I have. the X100T and Fuji in general were too slow and quirky for the way that I shoot. To many functional compromises for me.

I would be happy with an EM5 Mk II or a PEN-F with a prime on it. Right now I have quite a few, the P14, O17, O25, O45, O75. Oly delivers on IQ and it is up to us to use the gear to its potential.

If you have the chance, I would rent a Fuji X100 style camera before you buy.

Krigskoen

Mu-43 Regular
I owned an original X100 for a while. I really, really liked the feel of the images, but I found it an absolute pig to use. The OVF gave an excellent view but not necessarily of what the final image would be. The menu system was a nightmare. And swapping the wide-angle lens on and off (and telling the camera it was attached or not) was also a pain in the posterior. Despite all that I got some nice results out of it, but I didn't keep it long. But I actually made money on the deal so it wasn't a disaster!
I also had a DP2M for a while. Same kind of deal really - superb quality and a nice focal length but it's slow (in time taken between shots, not optically) and the X3F and TIFF files ended up taking huge amounts of disk space on my PC. However I do miss that one more than the X100.
I had much the same experience, but with the X100S. I used the tele-converter, which was excellent, and of course forgot to turn the setting on/off many times. The EVF was fine and accurate enough but I hardly ever used the OVF, since much of the picture was blocked by the lens hood or the teleconverter. And don't get me started on that weird waxy skin effect on high ISO's..
But worst of all everything was so damn slow, not just the menus but also the auto-focus which hunted endlessly and missed focus a lot. It was an awesome feeling to switch to the OMD-10 where everything is just so snappy.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
If you prefer longer lenses than the X100, I would consider that to be a deal breaker on the X100 for you.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, I've never owned a Fuji, but I've played with them often enough to know that the handling of the OMD's better suits my needs. As for mono IQ, shooting raw delivers excellent results with only modest effort in LR if you have presets defined to achieve the look you want (e.g. try winding contrast right down and clarity right up -probably too strong for most tastes but you can tune down from there). Nik, SilverFX etc will take you further. I'd be surprised in real world shooting to see much of a difference between an OMD and an X100.

The OMD has a good choice of lenses too - my own choice of something X100-sized would be the 14 or 20 Panasonic pancakes. Mated to an E-M10, it would be no bigger than the Fuji but IMHO would offer much better handling and a genuine step up in features (IBIS, LiveComp, electronic shutter, flippy screen, ...).

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have one and the images out of it do look different from from Panasonic or Olympus. It's a nice look. If you use RAW, Lightroom has camera calibration modes that copy the in-camera JPEG look. The shutter is very soft so very low shutter speeds are possible. If you can swing it, why not? It does look and feel cool too. that's something :)

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, I've never owned a Fuji, but I've played with them often enough to know that the handling of the OMD's better suits my needs. As for mono IQ, shooting raw delivers excellent results with only modest effort in LR if you have presets defined to achieve the look you want (e.g. try winding contrast right down and clarity right up -probably too strong for most tastes but you can tune down from there). Nik, SilverFX etc will take you further. I'd be surprised in real world shooting to see much of a difference between an OMD and an X100.

The OMD has a good choice of lenses too - my own choice of something X100-sized would be the 14 or 20 Panasonic pancakes. Mated to an E-M10, it would be no bigger than the Fuji but IMHO would offer much better handling and a genuine step up in features (IBIS, LiveComp, electronic shutter, flippy screen, ...).
I agree that the E-M10+P20 and/or P14 make a nice compact kit. I have done RAW shooting for years and I have a pretty good work flow. I prefer C1P as a RAW converter (I just don't think the LR does a particularly good job of dealing with Olympus RAW files) then to Tonality CC for BW conversion. I don't have an X100 but I did shoot with a Fuji X-E1+35/1.4 combo for a while and the OMD definitely handles better. The thing is, I want to try and get the OMD to produce images I like using JPEG. I have seen really nice SOOC JPEG samples from OMDs so I know it's possible. I just haven't been able get the kinds of results with JPEG that I do with RAW (yet).

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have one and the images out of it do look different from from Panasonic or Olympus. It's a nice look. If you use RAW, Lightroom has camera calibration modes that copy the in-camera JPEG look. The shutter is very soft so very low shutter speeds are possible. If you can swing it, why not? It does look and feel cool too. that's something :)
Yep, from the images I have seen I think they do look different. I won't say they're better because that's a subjective thing but I find that I prefer that look. To me it's very film-like. I'd like to get images from my OMD that look like that. If it's not doable, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom