1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD and Pentax ME Super

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 4, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My wife is cleaning out an unused closet last night and shouts out "hey, do you want this camera from the dawn of time?"

It's my old Pentax ME Super. I thought I had sold it or something (went looking for it about a year ago). Much to my wife's eye-rolling chagrin, I grabbed it quickly, and loaded a roll of 36 exp 100 ISO that I had lying around (and it had good batteries in a film cannister inside the bag).

Can't share the Pentax shots, of course, those will take a while, but here's the ME Super right next to my rented OMD. Not much difference 30 years on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Couple of things I instantly missed now that I've been shooting digital.

1) ME Super has no preview button that I can find. That is, if I stop down, I can't preview the effects.

2) No auto aperture on this. Watch the meter, because;

3) Only 1/2000 shutter speed tops :eek:

4) 36 shots per roll. I think the OMD can do that many exposures in about 3-4 seconds??

5) Missed a shot from not having advanced the film, lol

OK, the digital realm definitely has it's positives (not to mention the cost per shot), but I bought a bunch of old film rolls before the light meter on my Canonet died, so while this one has a working light meter, I think I'll be shooting some film over the next couple of months.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I got rid of my old film cameras (all Pentax) late last year and an ME Super was among them. That was the camera I had kept the longest of any of the cameras I ever owned. It was a delight because of its small size.

4. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    That was the third camera that I ever owned. When I purchased my first E-M5 it reminded me so much of shooting with my ME Super and LX that I shot with many years ago. I loved the size and handling of those cameras and I really love the size and handling of my E-M5s.

5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Loved my ME Super. I still have an ME 'SE' (leather grip, diagonal focus screen) and chimping really sucks with it no matter how many times I look! :rolleyes: Guess I'm an instant-gratification addict now, how times have changed..

• Like Like x 1
  6. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "Not much difference 30 years on!"

You mean other than the fact that the ME is much easier to use and has a far better "sensor?"

:) :) :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOL. True. TONS Of differences. And a way better sensor. But stylistically, maybe not that much difference :biggrin:

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Bill
    I was expecting your wife will thro all unused things out of the house :wink::wink::wink::wink:
    How did you survive Bill?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You seem to know my wife! Are you sure you live in Melbourne?

My wife will throw away anything that is not nailed down. I keep explaining to my kids that anything that sits on the kitchen island for longer than about 3 hours ends up in the trash. It's a running joke around here and, yes, I think I'm next. It may be why I keep buying new cameras, so she can't find and throw away the old ones :)

She's a sweet lady, btw. Don't want anyone to think I don't adore her!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol..No Bill , I am your next door neigbourer from now onwards and will probably get you all cameras in by trash bin..:rofl::rofl:
    But I think if she can thro ur things like that , it shows how much you both trust and love each other. May god bless all of you .. BTW please leave ur rented OMD on kitchen table for 4 hrs please..:rofl:
    Cheers