OMD and Leica M lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pokemon, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Sorry if this question has been asked before but i was wondering if a leica m lens (elmarit m 90 2.8) can be used on the OMD EM-5 without any issues? Is there an adapter for M lenses?

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    There's at least one low cost adapter on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Leica M Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 (Four Thirds System) Camera Mount Adapter, for Olympus PEN E-PL1, E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-P2, E-P3, E-M, OM-D, E-M5, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, G3, G10, GX1, GH1, GH2, GF1, GF2,

I have their Nikon to four thirds adapter and it works O.K.; my unit seems a bit sloppy on the body but doesn't light leak or interfere with focusing, etc.

Others on this forum probably have more information than I do.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  3. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I use a Leica M adapter with a couple Voigtlander lenses.
    It works great, and is very thin, which is a plus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Yes the 90mm Elmarit M and most of the other M lenses are OK on the E-M5 with an adapter. The only ones to be careful of are the collapsible ones where you would need to block the lens from collapsing with some tape on the lens barrel etc. For screw mount lenses just add the LTM adapter to the lens before mounting on the M to m4/3 adapter.

Steve

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Here's the sample image thread for the f/4 version: thread

I wish there was one for the 2.8. :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. So my understanding is that its perfectly fine to use leica m lenses on the OMD. Just curious...why aren't many people using them even tho there is the right adapter?

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    They're pretty expensive. I use a couple I got 30 years ago when I had no responsibilities.

You'll find a lot of people using them at fredmiranda.com. Mostly Leica film users who got m34 bodies as an inexpensive digital solution.

Fred

8. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    i don't have a leica lens either but m43 just opened up a lot more possibilities! i was under the impression that they were not compatible...

• Like Like x 1
  9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    As mentioned above...$$$. I wish I had one!

10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    If you look enough you can find an adapter for almost any legacy lens to m4/3 you could want. Almost. There are exceptions I've run across that I can't remember at the moment, but it's amazing how many are covered. Because of the shorter distance from rear element to sensor in the m4/3, almost any 35mm film lens, with a longer back of lens to film plane distance, can be adapted to the m4/3 format. One of the really wonderful things about it, I think. BUT, as stated above, be careful of those collapsible lenses!

The M glass is pretty expensive. I use a couple of M39 screw mount Leitz lenses that I picked up pretty cheaply, among them a wonderful, single coated 90mm Elmar f4 from 1946. I love it almost as much as Bhupinder loves the 45mm Olympus, and I wouldn't part with it for the world, for shooting both on an old Leica IIIb and on m4/3.

11. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Collapsibles are even a problem on some Leica 35mm bodies particularly the CL and M5 where they can damage the meter cells.
    Leitz used to advise which gauge of Dymo tape could be wrapped round the barrel of the lenses concerned to avoid the problem including out of production lenses.

Dymo tape!! Now there's retro :biggrin:

Some rangefinder wide angles protude a long way into the body too e.g. the FSU Jupiter 12

12. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    anyone used a 50 summicron m with a omd?

13. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

I have a lot of Leica lenses, and the reason I don't use them much is because of the crop factor. And where the crop factor isn't an issue, like using a 21mm on the OMD which becomes a 'standard' 42mm lens two other things come into play. The OMD sensor is designed for telecentric lenses delivering light at an acute angle, so with a regular wide angle lens which delivers light at a more obtuse angle the corners can look mushy. The second thing is that there are extremely good m4/3 lenses like the Pana Leica 25mm that already fit that focal range, so using a Leica full frame lens isn't necessary for 'Leica quality'.

Steve

14. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Yes the J12 and the old Super Angulon project too far. The J12 is a fine lens on the right body and still pretty cheap. I bet you can get Dymo tape on Ebay, everything seems to have been reinvented for sale on Ebay!

Steve

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The crop factor can be both a negative or a positive. Rangefinder lenses are limited to 135mm and anything over 90 is either very old or very expensive. But your 90mm Elmarit makes a pretty spectacular 180mm equivalent on an OMD. I've had a 75mm f1.8 for my M4/3 cameras for a year now, minus the AF of course. And it's the same size and weight as the Yet to be released Olympus.

So if your looking to get more telephoto goodness than an M can give you the crop is a good thing.

Gordon