1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD and Legacy Lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by txbkst, Jan 24, 2013.

1. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Hi Everyone,
    I just received an OM-D E-M5 today that I purchased from a forum member. While it was a total impulse buy, I have been reading up on the camera for a while now. I am coming from a NEX-C3, and prior to that I had an E-PM1. The thing that appealed to me about the E-M5 is the 5-Axis IBIS. I love my Canon 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 35-105/3.5 Macro. I was hoping that using the zoom would result in better photos from the E-M5 due to the IS. I know that the focal length needs to be manually set to whatever length is in use, and I did that. But I am finding that photos taken with my E-M5 with IS on are blurrier than those taken with my C3, which has no in-body stabilization. Also, I am finding that overall my photos seem to be less sharp and more smudged. I chalk that up to the aggressive noise reduction, and I have altered the settings accordingly. But as for the manual lenses, what might I be doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Kim

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I'm not sure what else you can do. Did you use magnified focus? Here's one I took today with an OLY 200 f4, handheld.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I did use magnified focus. Do you think that using the viewfinder might help some?

4. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Another question for you... If I don't activate magnification in Live View it doesn't work in the viewfinder. Is that normal or is there a setting I am missing?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but the EVF is Live View just like the OLED screen on the back, and use the same settings.

• Like Like x 1
  6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Somewhere here there is a tutorial on setting magnified view to dedicated button. Mine is set to fn2. Press it once and green box appears, twice and area is magnified.

• Like Like x 1
  7. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I think I figured it out. For some reason when I had LV Close Up Mode set to mode 1 I couldn't get magnification to work in the EVF without activating it on the OLED. Might have been a glitch on the users end, though. :) Also, after reading a good bit more, I also have found that "Half way Rls with IS" along with magnification is resulting in much sharper photos.

8. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    A little off topic here, but I am super unimpressed with the kit lens. Which is kind of weird, because I don't remember disliking it this much when I had the E-PM1. I have my eye on that 25/1.4, but seeing as I blew my budget just to get the camera, that's not likely any time soon. :p

9. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    One more question... When I adjust the EV I am seeing no difference at all in live view. I even increased the value to 1/2 EV per click and I still see no difference at either extreme end. I must be missing a setting somewhere!

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You probably have Live View Boost set to ON. That will keep the screen at 0 EV even though your settings will result in a different meter reading. This is useful for situations like using manual flash, where setting compensation would make it difficult to see the image otherwise. For normal shooting without flash or other strobe lighting that will change the exposure on capture, you generally want Live View Boost set to OFF.

• Like Like x 2
  11. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I have been pretty impressed over all with the kit lens; but then my expectations were perhaps pretty low, as this was my first m43 system other than a GH1 body I had used only for video with adapted lenses. I came from Canon 1D and 5D systems. But it's very slow at the long end, and for indoor people shots without a good flash, it's not great, IMO. But it does close up work very nicely, landscape is good, and I like how it performs at the wide end. The weather sealing is nice, too, as is the video focus mode. Like you, I'm saving for the 25 1.4 and probably a 12-35 2.8, although I wish it were faster for that much money.

12. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    So, another question... When using a legacy zoom, if I set the focal length to 105mm, say, then zoom down to 35, does that actually mess with the way the camera sees or processes the image or does it just make the IBIS less effective?

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You want the focal length that was entered to match the lens. Big mismatches, like a long lens value entered with a short focal length is a combo the computer can't handle.

Someone reported this with their fisheye. I just discovered that a 210mm entered as data with a 28mm prime mounted causes live view to jitter when IS comes on. It went nuts if I put in even higher focal lengths. I didn't check to see if the camera was able to take the shot with its sensor rocking like that. Didn't seem like a good thing to press on with.

14. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    The 12-50mm kit lens is actually pretty nice if you can get into a situation where the slow aperture doesn't matter much. I find it to be quite sharp.

I also have the 25 f/1.4, and it is definitely sharper and much faster. It's a great lens to have in the bag!

15. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I found the kit lens to be good at close focus but details in landscapes got blotchy. I had mine for about a month before I sold it. Love the sigma 30mm 2.8 and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. I also love the Pentax m100 2.8, which I find to be just as sharp as the sigma and live the focal length. Also cost me about $100. Have a pentax a50 1.7 that is also wonderful for portraits and find the sharpness similar though because it is a small lens it is harder to nail focus. But look, these forums are all about equipment and lenses don't take good pictures. People do. You don't need a prime for every focal length. Just use your feet to compose the photos.