1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD aftermarket battery grip?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SteveNunez, Sep 8, 2013.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Does anyone offer an aftermarket battery grip for the Oly OMD?

2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    <s>Yep.</s>

Nevermind. I must have been thinking of the GH3. Can't seem to find any for the OM-D

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Same here, can't find a single aftermarket grip for one.....weird as usually there are grips for every camera!

4. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Its a shame their arent any. I wouldnt mind if it wasnt weathersealed either.

I will just use the Ishoot brand L bracket/grip (doesnt hold a battery)

5. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Any info on that bracket?

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If you can live with a grip only (no battery) I highly recommend the JB Designs option. Cheap and very good. LINK to Amazon product page

7. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Ordered (pre-ordered)- thank you.

8. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    It's a great grip - excellent construction and the fit in the hand is really nice. Only issue is the blocked SD card slot - which may or may not be a dealbreaker for some.

3pneMMp.

10. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    excellent! If it bothers me ill just machine out the area.

11. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    A knock-off of the RRS bracket...

but not a bad looking knock-off. I have the RRS - which I paid a lot more than $70 for, and it dramatically improves the handling of my E-M5. I think you'll like it, especially for the price. For half the price of the real thing, the grip on the right and the L-bracket on the left really improves the handling of the camera. And, of course, if you have the little primes, you can take it all off and "go small."

12. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Hello Everyone,
    After reading the MANY posts on this forum concerning people's desire for better handgrips and brackets for the OMD E-5, I've decided to leak the product which I've been developing for almost a year.
    I am in the final steps of developing a handgrip/bracket for the Olympus OMD E-5. I started developing it about a year ago out of sheer frustration with the OMD's small size and diminutive-sized buttons.
    The bracket (as yet unnamed) will be user adaptable for different hand sizes and will allow for changing of different sized handgrips. The bracket will provide access for power cord and remote shutter cables and access to the SD cards as well as the battery.
    Integrated portrait and landscape tripod mounts will also be a feature.
    Most importantly, I'm shooting for a price that will make it a no-brainer third-party accessory everyone would purchase with their OMD E-5.
    With a little luck and the river doesn't rise, look for the bracket to be released before the Holiday Season.
    I am interested in soliciting any ideas which you would like integrated into the bracket.
    Thanks,
    John Schiller

13. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Sounds promising, maybe you can tease us with some pictures ;)

14. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    OMD E-5 Handgrip

Unfortunately, no. I've gone against my patent attorney's advice in leaking the idea while we are waiting for provisional patent (patent pending) to be issued by the U.S. Patent Office.
    Also, the bracket is a crude prototype right now and leaking images of it most likely dissuade people who would otherwise be interested in it.
    However, I will post pictures of it once the provisional patent is granted and by that time it will physically be in a much more mature stage of development.
    Thanks,
    John Schiller