OMD adapter for Canon EF lens

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by baskars, Apr 17, 2013.

1. baskars

baskars Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013

I am in the process of purchasing an OMD EM5. I plan to get 25/1.5 and 75/1.8 lens. In addition, I would like to make use of my existing Canon EF lenses (50/14, 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8L IS II, etc). Can someone point me to the adapter that I should buy to use with these lenses? What functionality do I lose - autofocus?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I don't think there is an adapter that will allow you to use any electronics. I believe there's one which comes with an aperture control dial. Just sell your canons and buy a 35-100 panasonic in addition to the other 2.
  3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The Redrock Micro adapter is the ONLY current option that will allow you to control the aperture of EF (EOS) lenses. I haven't used it, but I've never read anywhere that it allows autofocus. Even if it did, I would expect AF performance of the Canon lenses, which are optimized for phase-detect AF (PDAF) to be quite limited (read: slow) on the contrast detect AF (CDAF) of :43: bodies. The Redrock adapter is also fairly unwieldy and requires external power. It's really made more for video applications.

Your other options for controlling aperture of Canon EF lenses are:
    1. Use an adapter with a "fake" behind-the-lens aperture like this one from Kipon
    2. Set the aperture of the lens when attached to a Canon body, then remove the lens while depressing the DOF preview button (which will maintain the set aperture in the lens). With this approach a simple adapter like this one would suffice.
    Realistically, if I had a bunch of Canon EF glass I wanted to use with a smaller camera, I'd look into the SpeedBooster from Metabones along with a Sony NEX body. It's been rumored a version of this for :43: is in the works, but last I heard it's been delayed.
  5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I imagine it would be like using the 4/3 olympus lenses. Except for 2 of them, the AF was nearly useless. Plus the micro hunting your lens will do will wear out the lens motor faster. From all accounts, the panasonic 35-100 is equal, or very nearly, to the canon 70-200. It's also considerably cheaper. You said you wanted the 25 and the 75, so why stop there? You'll be much happier with native lenses. If you're looking for 200mm on the EM5, you could get a 100-300 or a quality legacy prime.
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    From the pix of the adapter it has absolutely no interface with the m43 body. It provides it's own aperture control. After that, the lens will act as a completely manual focus and manual exposure lens. The body will meter either in manual or as an aperture priority automatic. There will be no auto-stopdown when firing the shutter so when you set a small aperture you will be viewing at that small aperture. You would need to manually open the lens to focus then manually close the lens to the shooting aperture before taking the picture.