1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Omd 5 Why are raw images much wider view than JPEGs

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lees, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Lees

Lees New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Lee
    It is probably a straight forward question,but I can't think why all the raw images shot with my OMD are at a much wider view than the JPEGs and the viewer image.
    Obviously the lens has a two x crop,but that surely isn't the only answer as I have taken Raw and JPEGs with many other cameras with the same field of view
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Lees

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Which RAW converter are you using? If it is a RAW converter that does not apply built-in lens corrections, you will see the uncorrected image which in many cases will give a wider view.

3. Lees

Lees New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Lee
    OMD Rawls

Could be but how does the raw image get a greater possibly double field of view,not provided by the lens
    Raw editor is Adobe

4. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    never heard of that. Using Lightroom all the time.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Only thing I can think of is maybe you're shooting at a different aspect ratio in JPG, and it's automatically cropping in camera. Double check and make sure you're shooting at native (4:3) ratio in JPGs and not 3:2 or 16:9 that's cropping the image.

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Which Adobe product, may I ask? Only the RC of LR 5.3 has proper RAW support for the E-M1.

The reason that you see a larger field of view would be that the correction of barrel distortion involves cropping the image, and the lens is made wider to take this into account: this is particularly prominent on the Olympus 17mm f/1.8.

An alternative possibility is that you are using the "digital teleconverter", which simply crops JPEGs to the middle part of the frame.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Do you have a different aspect ratio (e.g. 1:1) selected in the menu (see page 55 of the manual)? This would be applied to the JPEG and viewfinder, but not the RAW file.

[like Jay said :smile:]

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh, I forgot about the digital TC - that's another definite possibility, if this is a large crop we're talking about here.