OMD 5 mk II screen protector

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Souwalker, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Do we really need one? I had a 40D and 70D and never needed one . Going to pick up the camera shortly thanks

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you muck around in dirt and sand while shooting? If not then probably not. I never baby my gear, and my E-M5 was fine from new until I sold it 2 years later.

3. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks . I don't muck around in dirt or sand . Just in the car about to drive off to kick camera up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

4. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Just an FYI.

My wife has a screen protector on her M5II, and the extra thickness it adds to the screen prevents the screen from closing completely when turning the screen face into the camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Just got back home with the M2 and the 12-40 pro [emoji3]

6. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Man, that must be some heavy duty screen protector? I have a standard clear film type of screen protector on my M5II and it flips around and closes perfectly.
    I do always use a screen protector, not because I'm in harsh environments but because the screens are touch and I put my grubby little fingers all over them :)

7. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    It is pretty thick. My wife is not original owner, and the other owner didn't know the brand. Good to know that there are thinner ones since I'm thinking of adding one to my M5II as well.

8. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Congrats, I love my M5II.

9. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks [emoji3][emoji3]

10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I use a screen protector on my m4/3 camera bodies. I do tend to get into the dirt but also like to protect against skin oils when using the touch screen. The "Pro Guard" brand are easy to install, very thin, do not interfere with flip/folding and are easy to replace if they get scratched or stained. I consider them very cheap insurance.

11. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    If I were you, I'd remove the glass protector and replace it with one of the thin plastic ones. Otherwise, someone could try to close it with the screen in and damage the hinge by pressing on it. I was worried about just that problem on my E-M5 ii, so I used a plastic film protector and it doesn't seem to interfere at all.

12. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Out of curiosity, where can I get the pro guard brand?
    Thanks

13. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I too have the Vello brand screen protector for my OM DE M5 II, and agree you can not close the screen in the stow away position due to the added thickness. I carry my cameras around my neck to the side and always worry about the screen getting scratched by brushing against my shirt buttons or something else outside of my apparel; thus the screen protector. Now due to the added thickness I do not stow the camera in the screen closed mode, and am ok with that as I have the protection on the screen. For what it is worth...

14. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I'm not sure that my wife's is the Vello brand but it sure is substantial, and works very well. She too just leaves the screen in the outward orientation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

16. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia