OMD 2nd curtain with Godox

thenextpage

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello, curious to know if anyone has found some interesting technique using 2nd curtain flash with this system? I was hoping that I'd be able to fire 2nd curtain in live composite mode to get some dramatic movement/ghosting, but it seems I'm unable to fire use the system in this way. In any case I'd appreciate to know your experience or ideas. Thanks!

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I wouldn't expect camera based second curtain flash triggering to work with live composite at all. Try using live time to get second curtain to work. Or just set the exposure manually and see what you get after it's done. My method for long exposure flash work is usually to trigger the flash manually during the exposure. I love to set a live composite to working, and walk around with my ad200 popping it by hand until im happy with the light on my composition. I recently did this in some abandoned subway tunnels to great effect. If you need to have the flash in the frame somewhere, just set it up and use the trigger to fire it by hand while the live composite is running. If one pop per exposure isnt enough, pop it twice or more. I love my godox gear!

thenextpage

Mu-43 Veteran
I wouldn't expect camera based second curtain flash triggering to work with live composite at all. Try using live time to get second curtain to work. Or just set the exposure manually and see what you get after it's done. My method for long exposure flash work is usually to trigger the flash manually during the exposure. I love to set a live composite to working, and walk around with my ad200 popping it by hand until im happy with the light on my composition. I recently did this in some abandoned subway tunnels to great effect. If you need to have the flash in the frame somewhere, just set it up and use the trigger to fire it by hand while the live composite is running. If one pop per exposure isnt enough, pop it twice or more. I love my godox gear!
Hey thank you so much for that feedback. 2nd curtain is a new technique to me, and I'm trying to wrap my head around how to make it work. I hadn't thought of popping the flash manually during live comp, then ending the exposure. But I think that could work really well. I'm shooting a pianist, and want to get a blur of him moving around while playing, then capturing that frozen piece with the flash. Thing I'm struggling to accomplish is to blend the ambient & flash in a way that looks good, so colors aren't way off. Suppose I'd need to gel my flash to match ambient

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom