1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD 2 second delay or anti-shock for long exposures?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lakemcd, Jun 29, 2013.

1. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    On an OMD for long exposures on a tripod 1+ seconds is there a difference between how the anti-shock works or just using a 2 second delay?

2. I would use the 2s timer because it is quicker to turn on and off through the Super Control Panel.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Antishock reduces the chance of blur due to the first shutter closing. The delay allows you to stap back and let the tripod finish shaking after you press the shutter button. Best thing to do is to use both.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Use both. Anti shock closes the shutter first, then waits before opening it again. The 2s timer just delays when this process starts.

5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I think you can turn anti shock off n on in the scp as well. You have to go into the menus to change the anitshock time.

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Someone kindly pointed out on here recently, if you switch anti-shock on in the menus, it suddenly becomes available via the Drive modes. Which is available via the SCP or down-arrow button if you have that set.

Cool eh?

Edit: I see I was just beaten to it.

7. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    right, then we can't use both antishock and timer. I would just use timer for long exposures. you won't see any blur from shutter shock in a long exposure.

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I believe you can use both anti-shock and timer for long exposures.

9. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    I always use both, does work fine with the G5.

10. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes the timer and drive options become doubled up. One set with an anti shock diamond. And another set without. Pretty clumsy but possible.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Why would you want both anti shock and 2 second timer, when you can set the anti shock delay to whatever you want (within reason!)?

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Do Panasonic cameras have this anti shock feature ?
    Thanks.

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    changing the amount of anti-shock delay probably takes more menu diving than changing the timer (10s or 2s).

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Ah yes, I can see that if you wanted 10 second self timer to get yourself in the picture then you might as well have the benefit of anti shock too.

For shake free pictures on a tripod I just have the anti shock set to 4 seconds.