1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD 12-50 video examples

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by gardengirl13, Apr 29, 2013.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    I thought I would post these here so people who are looking for examples can find them easily.

I use my OMD and 12-50 for just about 100% of the videos I shoot. I may have shot a very quick bird video using my 40-150 but it's only for personal ID info not for the WWW to see! ha ha!

Now here are some videos really pushing this pairing. I used to shoot with my Canon 60D and the video was ok, the sound not so much. But for some reason the mic on this OMD is really built well. Turned on low it can handle VERY loud band music and still pick up little bits. The 60D and p&s like the G12 clipped the sound horribly. With the OMD you get clear drums, guitar and even bass and vocals. Even some crowd sounds too!

I'll start with the first one I did, it's just a rehearsal in a very dark basement. I have it set to A, movie effect on just in case, wind noise standard and the mic on low and auto ISO.

This first one was shot as a test for the camera, I uploaded it to my facebook page and the drummer took that and uploaded it from there to youtube, so the quality stinks! But trust me the original is much better in HD. Even not knowing the camera's video well I still think I'm managed ok.

Hell Runs the Show- Rehearsal

Here are two videos from their first gig, not too bad, it's in a bowling alley, so the lighting is wonky and you can hear lots of background noise. I think I may have turned off the wind noise but I'm not 100% sure on that.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWl63-SOAjQ"]Zero Hour- Live[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYRZ9irPzQ"]Break the Spell- Live[/ame] this one the the end you can hear someone get a strike! ha ha!

And here was the one from last Friday, this is the one we're using to try to get into the SPAC battle of the bands. They have to submit a video and then people vote to see who gets in, so I'll be posting a link soon to get everyone here to vote!

Also this song gets stuck in your head so easy!! It's great! I'm not just saying that because my husband is the guitarist! :redface:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZipCJx3Ak"]Self Made Vigilante- Live[/ame]

If anyone has any suggestions on making these better please let me know! I know nothing about video! This last one was taken with the camera over my head and I'm super wobbly, so that's why it's not steady, but all things considered it's pretty steady! Gotta love that image stabilization!

ETA: Why did the first one come up as a link and not the other three? I tried to make them all links?

2. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Nice videos. Your shots are very steady and well framed.

If you want to add anything, I would vary the shots by adding close ups shots and short tilt and pan shots. For the close ups, I'd shoot the audience reacting to the music, or of the singer belting out the vocals or close ups of the guitarist fingers as he strums or finger plucks.

With the short tilt and pans would be similar. For instance, shoot the audience then pan back to the band or vice versa. Also you can shoot a head shot or medium shot of the guitar player then tilt down to the guitar as he plays.

The only thing with adding these shots is that you won't be able to record the whole performance unless you record the whole time but even then you'll be cutting the clips in post.

You can do multicam and have a person help you and have that person man the establishing shot and have that camera shoot the whole performance wide and while that is recording, you can do the more dynamic shots with your OMD. like a music video.

Watch music videos for more examples and try to do those shots! Good luck!

3. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Yeah I'd love to have two OMDs, I'd put one on a tripod and film the band where I do right now, then I'd have another to get those close ups and crowd shots. I don't know how to edit videos at all. My husband just put the fades in at the beginning since that video will be for a contest so people know the band better that way. I'd love to try all kinds of funky stuff, but I really don't know anything about doing or editing videos.

They want to do a music video as a joke just for fun on youtube, but then it won't matter how and when I shoot as it'll be to previously recorded music. Then I'll have to learn how to edit! I can shoot all different angles and do funkier stuff. I can't wait to experiment! I'm thinking Sabotage meets Red Fang's $5000 music video check, meets something else. We'll see, we're still in the ideas stage.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    learning editing is the key

this was shot solo on one camera - I shot several songs, recording the audio on the camera and on a separate recorder. I had the GH2 for 2 days at this point

For this song I got rid of the bits where I was moving the camera, and replaced them with shots from other songs.

Its not perfect.. but the principle is right...

https://vimeo.com/33533553

cheers

K

5. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    nice! What software do you use? Right now we have whatever came with the old computer, iMovie maybe?

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    i used final cut pro X.. but while that helped in some aspects, the big thing is separating audio from video, and learning to understand that from a viewers point of view not everything they see has to have been shot in the order they finally see them

cheers

K

7. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US