1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD 12-50 kit lens, Macro questions?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by littleMT, Jun 29, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    As many know, I have 2 E-PL1's...

my question is, how do I use this lens in macro?

what focal length should be used, at the wide 12 or the zoomed 50mm?

how close should I get to the subject?

I have never used a macro lens, and being a newbie I haven't a clue..

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The way I understand it is that the 12-50 has a macro mode which shoots at around 40-45mm. I believe there's a macro button on the side of the lens which you would want to depress and hold whilst zooming the lens until you see the word "macro" in the little window.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tosh

Tosh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    To put the lens into macro mode, you hold down the macro button and push the zoom ring forwards. The word 'Macro' will appear in the little window when you get it right. You'll be locked into a 43mm zoom position, so there's no choice there. And you get as close the the subject as possible while still allowing focus. The actual minimum focus distance is pretty short, about 2/3rds the length of the lens itself.

• Like Like x 4
  5. KellyinPA

KellyinPA Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks, MIkeB, for being more helpful than the manual.

I was pressing and releasing the Macro button, and then pushing the zoom ring forward, and not being able to focus more closely. When holding the Macro button and pushing the zoom ring, it works fine. I don't see the word "Macro" appearing anywhere, but the focal length indicator is locked at 43 mm, and I can focus within a few inches.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Around the lens barrel to the right of the Macro/Zoom button, to the right of centre when looking down from above, is a little window that shows M Zoom/E Zoom/Macro to let you know how the lens is set, if you don't find out the hard way by trying to operate it.

The window does not stand out visually, "unobtrusive" may be considered an exaggeration, and you aren't alone in not noticing it. It took me some time to find it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. KellyinPA

KellyinPA Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    You're right - I had never noticed that window. I assumed it referred to the viewfinder or monitor.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I thought of putting in a comment in my post which said something like "You won't feel stupid for not noticing it when you find it" but thought someone might think that I really was calling them stupid for not finding it. It really is hard to notice that window. Once you find it you'll never have a problem again but first you have to find it and that's a bit like a treasure hunt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I still can't get it to go into macro mode. I'm pressing and holding the Macro button while zooming past the 43mm mark and it just goes all the way to 50mm. Am I missing something here?

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Yes. You don't zoom. You just pull the lens ring towards the front element. The OM-D shall actually make a funny sound (if you try to listen, it's subtle) to inform you you're on macro mode (and "macro" will appear in the little window).

• Like Like x 3
  11. Guerillah

Guerillah Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    David
    As other have said, do not zoom it. Hold the macro button down WHILE you push the focus ring towards the front of the lens. Enjoy.

12. KellyinPA

KellyinPA Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    It's actually the zoom ring, not the focus ring, that you push toward the front.

13. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Ahhh, it's all in the subtlety of that one word (push vs turn). Got it now!

Thanks for all the help.

14. It's a real trick to attempt to put it into macro mode one-handed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    AS the last poster said, you hold the macro button while pulling the zoom until macro in show on the window of the lens. I tried holding the macro button and rotating the zoom, that didn't work for me.

16. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    I too had lots of trouble figuring this out. Stupid me didn't read the manual. Once i figured it out I just rolled my eyes and started shooting. And yes the OMD will "sing" when it's put into macro.

Nic, can't do it. My hands don't work well any way and I've tried MANY times, but it's two handed only for me! ha ha! But I LOVE this lens in macro!!!:

• Like Like x 1
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I couldn't have figured out how to switch the lens to macro without reading the manual either, but once figured out, what a revelation! :wink:

P5300010_03.

18. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Took this last night playing with the macro mode and a table top tripod.

19. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I love the macro on this lens.

• Like Like x 2
  20. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Asa another newbie, I appreciate finding this on the forum as I did not know how to get into macro mode with this lens. I have the 50mm 4/3 lens so will probably use that when I am shooting mostly macro.