OM5 raw file

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by latifron, Apr 28, 2012.

1. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012
    HOW many FPS if we take raw file from OM5?

2. jkassem

jkassem New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2012
    Same speed, just limited number. I think you can do 11 shots or so in raw at 9fps, then it reduces speed. Writing the files is slow, and you can't go into playback mode while writing, but you can keep shooting.

3. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012
    if you can shot raw at 9fps then om5 is the best camera in the century

4. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    1.1 seconds of raw files doesn't seem that great and that's only in manual focus mode.

The Nikon D4 can shoot 10FPS in 16mp and 11FPS is manual focus mode. And 110 frames before it slows down the buffer using the Sony XQD cards.

I'm sure the 1dx is just as good.

5. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012
    anyone shoot raw from om5? please inform. thanks

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you have to put things into perspective. While it isn't the first camera to obtain that sort of speed, (I had a 1v and 1d Mark IIn) it is bringing it to this level of pricing. Its making this sort of performance accessible to the masses. Lets not forget that the micro 4 3 system has always had a weakness in AF performance. The D4 and 1Dx are on the order of 4-5x the cost of the EM5.... you forgot to mention that.

There's always better out there but it doesn't mean jack if its unattainable.

By the way, mine seems to handling 9fps just fine in manual and autofocus. In raw mode, you just fill up the buffer more quickly (less frames) before having to wait for the camera to dump to SD.

7. usayit

Yes... I shoot raw almost exclusively but I've recently switch over to JPEG on the EM5 only. I am eagerly waiting for Adobe to release an update to support the EM5's raw files in lightroom.

Part of the problem with these compact consumer cameras is that they use SD cards. There is a limit to their transfer rate as per their design... too keep them small. Compact flash cards are generally faster. NOTE: both the 1Dx and D4 use Compact flash as do most professional cameras.

Somewhere online someone measured that the Sandisk 45MB/s resulted in a 17 seconds to completely empty cache to media and that the Sandisk 95MB/s resulted in 10 seconds. Those advertised rates I believe are read speeds so you'll have to look them up for and compare WRITE speeds when shopping around for new SD cards.

8. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Lightroom 4.1 RC supports EM-5 RAW files, you can download a free trial for 30 days

9. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012
    Does anyone here own om5???? this is just a simple question guys!!

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, I think we can credit Sony for adding the high-fps-without-AF as a checkbox feature in consumer cameras, starting with the 10 fps A55 back in August 2010.

DH

11. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Try reading Olympus's website for the information. There's no need to get snippy on a question you asked in less than 24 hours on a weekend. BTW, its NOT a simple question. Many of the members here have only just received their cameras in the past week or two and are probably too busy taking pictures instead of looking at the specs section of their manual (most probably don't even read the manual) or doing tests on how fast raw shooting is.

E-M5 Specs

Here are the specs as published by Olympus America:

Drive mode Single-frame shooting, Sequential shooting, Self-timer

Sequential shooting maximum speed
    [Sequential shooting H mode] 9.0 fps
    [Sequential shooting L mode] 3.5 fps / 4.2fps in case of "I.S. OFF".

Max. recordable pictures on sequential shooting [RAW] Max. 17 frames (in seq. shooting L), Max. 11 frames (in seq. shooting H)
    [JPEG] Up to full extent of data strage capacity (in seq. shooting L),
    Max. 17 frames ( in seq. shooting H)
    (with TOSHIBA SDHC UHS-I card R95-W80 8GB model, under Olympus test standard)

Self-timer Operation time: 12 sec., 2 sec. (cancel available)
    Wireless remote control Not Available

12. jkassem

jkassem New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2012
    Actually I just tested this on my EM 5. I was able to consistently shoot 9fps RAW for 16 frames before the buffer filled. It then took 13sec to clear the buffer completely. And remember you can keep shooting while the buffer is dumping. In RAW+JPEG L Superfine I got 14 to 15 shots with a 21sec buffer dump.

13. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for testing. So it basically mirrors Olympus's published stats. :)

14. jkassem

jkassem New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2012
    I think 9fps is seq H, so 16 frames is actually better than the published spec, right? I also forgot to mention I'm using a 3 year old Sandisk Extreme III 4gb card.

15. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012
    Oh well, the spec is for shooting maximum speed is for jpeg file.

i want to know the FPS for raw file. again, anyone?

16. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012

ok, this is goood. for shooting raw and jpeg: 21 sec divided by 14 shots = 1. 5 fps.

so, for raw only, maybe 1 fps..

17. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Maybe you should take some time and re-read the previous posts and the results of the test.

18. usayit

Its in the published spec (READ.. RAW):

Wrong calculations. 21 seconds was to dump to SD and that person was using an older card. Someone else reported 10 seconds from a 90MB/sec SDHC and 17 seconds form a 45MB/sec SDHC.

The camera will shoot 9fps at RAW until the buffer is full. At that point, it needs to slow down (shutter is not blocked) to allow write to SD. How quickly the buffer can be cleared is dependent on the write speed of the SD card. Its been mentioned before.. you need to read... its cannot be any clearer.

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The 7D is only $1199- at Adorama right now, and it's only 8 fps, but with full AF. I'm sure there's a Nikon equiv too

You'll note that the E-M5 doesn't AF at 9fps, in fact both AF and exposure are locked, and IBIS is also off. If you want all 3, then 3.5 fps is the max. If you can do without IBIS then 4fps. That's pretty good in itself, but the 9fps thing is a lot of marketing.

So this 9 fps thing with no auto-exposure or AF, has already been done by point and shoots even at a much lower price point - the Sony Cybershots had it back in 2009.

20. usayit

You mistaken me for someone who cares....