OM lens question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by agentlossing, Oct 1, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I found an Olympus OM 28mm 3.5 at my local Goodwill for $5, so I obediently bought it. I'm not sure how these lenses work, though. It's got a nice clicky aperture ring, but there doesn't seem to be any way to keep the aperture set at the desired setting, unless you depress a small, spingy button on the barrel near the lens mount. I can't seem to switch the lens to a manual aperture mode.

Looking online for adapters, the ones I found don't seem to have aperture settings, so my question is, how the heck do I select aperture if I mount this lens on an adapter?

2. WILLJ8765

WILLJ8765 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    When the lens is attached to the adapter, it will stop down as you turn the aperture ring. That is the way mine works, so I assume any other adapter will work the same way. I paid about $23 for a Rainbowimaging from a "large online retailer" (not sure if we are allowed to mention the name).

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Most adapters have a little arm that actuates the aperture for you.

4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I figured this particular adapter would be one with an aperture adjustment (unlike the two other adapters I have for other mounts) but the OM adapters I see online don't seem to have one.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The ones with aperture control built into the mounts are ones where the aperture is not in the lens, or cannot be controlled manually (Nikon G, Pentax 110, Canon EOS, etc). When on the adapter, the spring you mentioned is constantly depressed, allowing you to "see" the aperture change.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just get a standard adapter, rainbow imaging is where I have bought all my adapters, you'll love the OM glass, its sharp, smallish, and a joy to use, I have OM glass from 24mm to 300mm and can't seem to let any of them go.

7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Ah, you've got on my point of confusion, thanks much! I'd better hop on Amazon then...

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Have you compared this lens to the Konica Hexanon 28mm 3.5? I have one and love it, for all applications f5.6 and upwards, f3.5 is useless due to softness that I'm pretty sure is a by-product of adapting. If the OM Zuiko manages to be crisp at f3.5, though (or even passable) it might get to go places more often than the Hexanon.

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Another one converted... :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Sorry to thread spoil, but what's people favourite OM adapter? I have a Fotga one, and the aluminium at the m43 end is wearing/shearing away... not good... I'd love to get the official Olympus one but the €€€/$$$s are a bit too high!

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Actually it was $9.99, but "housewares" were %50 off. I even asked my girlfriend if I could get it, she just commented on how I always manage to find awesome deals!

Who doesn't like paying mere pennies for state of the art glass and metal optical instruments of intricate contemporary and historic value? Until my collection gets physically large enough to look like I have a problem... Then she might actually realize I've been 'converted.'

• Like Like x 1
  12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've been plenty happy with my Fotodiox branded OM-m43 adapter (as well as their EF-m43 adapter)

• Like Like x 1
  13. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I have rainbow imaging and have no complaints. Another popular one is the fotodix

• Like Like x 1
  14. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Thanks, might give one of those a go. Is the material the m43 end is made of good and solid? Have you noticed any wear at all out of interest?

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There's a bracket on a proper OM adapter that sets the lens in manual mode, allowing the aperture ring to control the iris. Shown in attachment. If you check the ebay adapter pics, they all have it.

I've not seen the anodized aluminum on my adapters show wear, but don't expect much for the $10-15 that they cost.

Attached Files:

16. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That is such a low-tech solution. I love it.