OM legacy lens adapter problems..??? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bruno Wasking, May 2, 2012.

1. Bruno Wasking

Bruno Wasking New to Mu-43

May 2, 2012

Just got my glorious E-M5. One problem, the OM adapter doesn't seem to work? It just presents me with a black screen / viewfinder.

When I swap over to my E-PL2 it works fine as per usual.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Any settings that i'm missing?
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I don't have one (yet), but usually there's a menu item for "shoot without lens". Make sure that's enabled.
  3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Also, you have to set the focal length of the lens in the IS settings for the IBIS to work well with it.
  4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    When that happens on my PEN, the adapter isn't aligned properly. There's a lock pin on the camera body that extends into a hole on the adapter to keep it from turning. If not fully extended, the PEN's black out the screen. Probably the same for OMD?

Anyway, I have an adapter that does this. Its alignment hole is out of tolerance. I tried drilling the hole bigger, but it still "blacks out" occasionally. Then I wiggle it til it works or grab a different adapter.
  5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    I think that's a feature found only on Panasonic bodies. Also legacy adapters shouldn't block out the screen, there are no electronic pins/connections. I think the culprit is (as was said by harrysue) the pin is not liked on fully to the adapter.
  6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Just connected a Zuiko 28mm f2.8 via Fotodiox adaptor, no problem.

As you were, MF assist does not seem to work.
  7. mancunianlad

mancunianlad New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    Black screen on EM5 using lens adapter

Hi Bruno,

I just bought myself the Oly EM5 and think it's fabulous. I wanted to try out some legacy Pentax lenses (PK format) and bought a PK to micro 4/3 mount. Unfortunately I am having the same issue as you (i.e. a black screen). I've tried everything but can't get the lenses to work on the camera.
    Did you have any success? I'd be very grateful if you could pass on any information about how to get legacy lenses to work on this camera.

Many thanks,
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    First, when you attach any lens or adapter, DON'T hold down te lens release button...otherwise you can turn the lens past the locking point disabling the lens.
  9. brompy

brompy New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    Pentax k to m43 adaptor

I have exactly the same problem with blank screen as macunian lad

Anyone managed to solve

Tried all suggestions but no luck
  10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

^^ this

Not much you can do besides getting a new adapter, or making the hole wider/deeper.
  11. brompy

brompy New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    M4/3 adaptor

Used a smll swiss file to fettlen the slot in the adaptor and BiNGO - sorted!

I still have to wiggle the adaptor slightly now and then so may file the slot a tad.
    Thanks for advice