OM Digital UK Q&A

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's OMDS UK? and Olympus were the ones that asked that it be removed?

It actually surprised me that he gave the Q&A more than that they decided it should be removed. Looks like there's a lot of butt-hurt about the video being shared outside their little community, too.

Here is one further statement

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dig...era-but-the-future-of-the-e-m5-is-a-hot-topic

UPDATE: OM Digital Solutions reached out to us regarding this story, clarifying on the context within which the discussion was conducted:

"This was a relaxed conversation where we often chew the fat over what people like and don’t like or where things should go in the future. That can lead to interpretations beyond reality. It is all hypothetical and nothing has actually changed on our side. Things carry on as the roadmap suggests and we will release confirmed information in the usual manner."

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Things carry on as the roadmap suggests and we will release confirmed information in the usual manner."

Yup... "things carry on" ... Something similar happened in another industry I deal with... Where there was a casual conversation that was set up by essentially a user-group and the "boss" got on camera and began guessing just a little too much about what head office really had planned. It also got pulled quickly.

I'm sure the last thing they want is for rumours to evolve into hatred if things they talked about don't actually happen...

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm sure the last thing they want is for rumours to evolve into hatred if things they talked about don't actually happen...

Just before the handover to OMDS local directors in especially Germany and UK were very active in giving these "casual" interviews where they talked a lot about Shape of Things to Come.

To me it all sounded like they were feeling free to reveal things that Olympus had in their original pre-exit 2021 roadmap because they are far below the level where OMDS plans would have been revealed. Assuming of course that OMDS even had any at that point.

The only persons in Japanese companies who are authorized to casually "leak" information about future releases are on HQ Director level, not some random guys on the other side of the world.

Take for example Panasonic Director of Imaging Business Unit who did release a long video about mainly S5 and L-mount last September and threw in that one-liner about GH6 telling that something like that is being developed so "stay tuned". Well, I'm tuned in but all i get is static.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Take for example Panasonic Director of Imaging Business Unit who did release a long video about mainly S5 and L-mount last September and threw in that one-liner about GH6 telling that something like that is being developed so "stay tuned". Well, I'm tuned in but all i get is static.

Yeah, for a dead company Olympus is really stirring things up, while I haven't even heard substantial mu43 rumours about Panasonic stuff in months...

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Yeah, for a dead company Olympus is really stirring things up, while I haven't even heard substantial mu43 rumours about Panasonic stuff in months...

My thoughts, too. It lends credence to my feeling that Olympus proper isn't entirely done with OMDS, and that something is going to happen between the two companies that somehow rolls it back into the Olympus Corp.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I didn't give much thought at all to that comment about the new Olympus body, but seeing that the video has been pulled by Olympus/OMD, I can't help but wonder about it now. Maybe that was their plan all along.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
If we're going to speculate about data, I'd like to see if there was a spike in 100-400 orders once the 150-400 Pro price was announced.
From what I've seen online, it appears there is still a wait to receive the lens delays but I've also seen the price drop. Those don't usually happen at the same time.

Had the Pro been less expensive I likely would have bought both lenses.
As is, I'm really enjoying the 100-400 and having $7500 to give to friends, charity and my mortgage.

The demand for the 150-400 is good for the company as it can raise the price. But eventually the price will come down and I can consider my buying decisions at that time.

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
If we're going to speculate about data, I'd like to see if there was a spike in 100-400 orders once the 150-400 Pro price was announced.

Had the Pro been less expensive I likely would have bought both lenses.
As is, I'm really enjoying the 100-400 and having $7500 to give to friends, charity and my mortgage.

The demand for the 150-400 is good for the company as it can raise the price. But eventually the price will come down and I can consider my buying decisions at that time.

If you have any spare money left lying around, please feel free to give it to me. In fact, if anyone has money lying around and it would make them feel special inside if they give it away, PM for my bank account number. I can help you achieve your goal. Charities have too much money anyway, and there's always some bloke right at the top that's absolutely coining it in.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Sorry to nix that windfall you are now waiting for, @RichardC , but I think if you have money left over after buying a 100-400, you should buy a second one. You know how people (like myself) sometimes use 2 bodies to avoid lens swaps, well this would just be carrying this one step further - if you have 2 100-400s, you can mount each on a separate body and avoid ISO or aperture changes (such a bother!!).

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
I suspect that all purchasers of this lens will use it to shoot wildlife. For sports I would think there are other slightly shorter/faster lenses in the roadmap that would be more applicable for this purpose.

I disagree - I can’t think of a better lens for Sports and I would absolutely love it for Motorsports especially for a track like Silverstone where run off areas push you back a long way from the bikes / cars.
I've previously used an Olympus 300mm f4.0 there including with a 1.4TC (420mm) so the 150-400 would give similar reach but would be much more versatile with its zoom range for many shorter vantage point shots and the TCs can be added
This has got to be the best sports lens ever !
I would definitely buy one if I could afford it but could never justify this much on a single lens

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom