OM Digital Solutions wish list

• Thread starter Deleted member 27510
  • Start date

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On the size comparison issue, having recently spent some time with a Nikon Z7, I can tell you this:

- The camera is on paper only a litle bigger and heavier than the EM1.2/3, but it feels notably bigger and heavier to handle. Picking up the EM1.2 after a while using the Nikon immediately feels like you've picked up a smaller camera.

- I ran the 14-30, 24-70, TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 fisheye and, briefly, the 24-200. The TTArtisan, 14-30 and the 24-70 are all just that little bit bigger and heavier than the m43 closest equivalents (Oly 8mm f1.8 fisheye, PL 8-18 and 12-40). Again, you notice it when you swap back. The 24-200 is very close in size and weight to the 12-100 but it's nowhere near as well made or as good optically.

- I managed to fit the Z7 kit (body, 14-30, 24-70, TTArtisan 11mm) into the same Billingham bag I used for my EM1.2 kit (body, PL8-18, 12-40, 8mm f1.8 fisheye). It did still fit, but it was a much tighter squeeze and you could feel the weight difference on the shoulder.

- The 24-200 was a big disappointment for me, and to get a decent alternative lens that goes to 200 on the Z system only really leaves the 70-200 f2.8. It's quite the business, but it's huge, heavy, and $$$$.

So, yes, you can get close to a m43 kit with FF, but it will still be somewhat bigger and heavier - and as soon as you go past about 100mm equiv FL things quickly get much bigger, heavier, and expensive.

Curious as to which 24-70mm lens you used?

Been eyeing the 24-70mm f/2.8 (If I go back to Nikon.) given one online review between it and the f/4 version showed the f/2.8 to be far ahead in sharpness over the f/4 version. Here:

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
EM1 model with everything from mark III plus the following:

- new BSI sensor with maybe 24mp and less noise overall (I realize this is very unlikely but it's a wish)
- nicer EVF with at least 3.7mp
- nicer LCD with better resolution and brightness (even better with a dual hinge design so it can be used as both tilt and FAS)
- even better AF and improved tracking
- dual UHSII card slots
- new higher capacity battery with at least 50% more capacity

Some of those things are pretty reasonable, especially the EVF, LCD and card slots when you consider the FF Nikon Z5 has those things for only $1300 (currently Em1 III is $1400).

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I still don't understand why the E-M1 mk III only has one UHS-II slot.
I guess to keep costs down. They really made some unfortunate decisions with the mark III IMO. It should've at least had the now ubiquitous 3.69mp EVF and dual UHS II slots. I think it would've been a more compelling upgrade for Olympus users if it had those things. As it is now, many EM1 II owners will probably pass on the III.

I currently only have an EM5 II but want to buy an EM1 III. But I will wait for the price to drop closer to $1000 USD, as I don't feel the tech inside is worth the asking price. I know they just dropped it from $1800 to $1400, but I still feel it's overpriced given all the old tech inside. Especially when we can buy a pretty nice FF camera like Nikon Z5 for $1300 with a much better EVF, LCD, and dual UHS-II slots.

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I guess to keep costs down. They really made some unfortunate decisions with the mark III IMO. It should've at least had the now ubiquitous 3.69mp EVF and dual UHS II slots. I think it would've been a more compelling upgrade for Olympus users if it had those things. As it is now, many EM1 II owners will probably pass on the III.

I currently only have an EM5 II but want to buy an EM1 III. But I will wait for the price to drop closer to $1000 USD, as I don't feel the tech inside is worth the asking price. I know they just dropped it from $1800 to $1400, but I still feel it's overpriced given all the old tech inside. Especially when we can buy a pretty nice FF camera like Nikon Z5 for $1300 with a much better EVF, LCD, and dual UHS-II slots.
I understand what you’re saying and agree a better evf or screen would be nice to have. But some of the tech in the Nikon Z5 is seriously behind the times compared to the E-M1 Mark III too. I mean, 4.5 fps with continuous focus ?

Not wanting to start a brand war but these price comparisons really need more context.

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
My main wish from them is to stay in business! Other than that, small weather sealed primes would be nice, and if they can find a way to squeeze about one extra stop better noise performance out of a micro four thirds sensor, that would permanently kill any remaining twitch towards going back to full frame I may still have.

Oh, and if I'm in cloud cuckooland, relaunch a (preferably metal!) weather sealed four thirds adaptor for us weirdos who still use a lot of old four thirds lenses and are fed up paying far too much for used MMF-3's. ? :biggrin:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Might be the processor used (?). Since the E-M1X has two processors inside, there may be more data lines to supply the second USB-II port along with more onboard RAM to supply the AI stuff they added: i.e. Bird, Trains, and Autos - and maybe Birds if that ever happens before they tap dance off into the sunset.

Nikon appears to be doubling up on processors in their upcoming Z6/Z7 Mark II series with adding another processor along with a second USB-II port as well as the CFexpress primary one.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Limitations on overall system bandwidth. At first glance it seems like a big disadvantage compared to cameras like the GH5/G9 that have dual UHS-II slots, but if you dig a bit deeper you'll find what Panasonic did is to take a nearly identical system bandwidth and create two "slow" UHS-II slots vs the single "fast" UHS-II slot in the E-M1ii/iii. The E-M1X gets around this by increasing system bandwidth via the dual processors.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not even a sports photographer or anything like that but I still noticed my E-M1 mk2 getting hot in my hand occasionally, even without dual UHS-II or higher-res sensor/EVF. If more processing power is used to keep the body cooler instead, I probably wouldn't mind that either. I never ever noticed my C-7070 getting hot so feeling the heat of the E-M1 mk2 was shocking to me, maybe it is a step backward. It makes me think how complicated cameras have become, how much cameras are becoming computers. If OM focuses less on technology and more on simple things, like body designs and optics, maybe I wouldn't mind. Like, the E-M1 mk2's EVF already has higher resolution than the 22" Dell 2209WA that I am currently looking at, right?

Of course, advanced technologies like image stabilization is a large part of what drew me to the system in the first place. 10 months ago I spent $1600 CAD for 5.5-6.5 stops of stabilization, and only a few months later with E-M1X and E-M1 mk3 it became 7.0-7.5 stops. If it is a choice between more megapixels/speed and an extra 1.0-1.5 stops image stabilization, maybe I would choose the latter. The system has always been about thinking big, but in a different way, and I only wish that continues with OM.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just realized that what I really need is a [weather-sealed & 6-stop-ibis... EM10ii] at 700 eurodollars. The EM5iii can keep its tech bling and high price to itself, I do not need it.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
My wish list:
  • to survive (not sure it will happen),
  • to be able to get a new sensor (and I know this won’t happen), and
  • to release those bright prime lenses :) (probably won’t happen)
Am I too negative or pessimist?

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
Focus on innovative software and keep the world class weathersealing and ergonomics.

Lets be honest the custom hardware and chips are done with this deal. We won't see another truepic processor or IBIS system ever again which is fine. They can use ARM chips and 7.5 robust stops is plenty. Sensors are up to Sony or another semiconductor company to develop.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My wish list:
I have thought and considered this for over a week. I am unsure and undecided over your personal thoughts and possible pessimism. I was quite positive and optimistic yesterday, despite my wife being miserable.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
My wish list:
No just hopefull, like a lot of Oly users. Thats all we can do now... and wait to see what really happens

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I bet you cannot wait for your next chicken meal. Snapping that wishbone whilst hoping, and bouncing around in anticipation. I have a pile of them. If I told you what my wishes were, they would never happen, so...

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
No just hopefull, like a lot of Oly users. Thats all we can do now... and wait to see what really happens
Don’t get me wrong, I was just being a bit sarcastic:) I am waiting for that 100mm macro lens and some cashback on the M1.3/17f/1.2 and I’ll be done. When I’ll need to change my camera I’ll decide.
Honestly, I really hope JIP will maintain the same exceptional construction quality we have from Olympus.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The next series may be moulded plastic and look more like the Canon black bubble models. No more chrome nickel on brass in a modern take on ’70’s retro look.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
The next series may be moulded plastic and look more like the Canon black bubble models. No more chrome nickel on brass in a modern take on ’70’s retro look.
Well, if JIP plans to offer “premium” equipments by increasing their prices and lowering their quality they pretty much lost a customer :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom