OM Digital Launches ‘OM System’ Brand, Leaving Olympus Name Behind

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
See PetalPixal for more details.

2021-10-27_22-28-37.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
What annoys me is that OMDS have launched these promotional pieces saying ‘we’ve been doing such and such ..for 80 years‘ etc

OMDS (J.I.P) the company ‘speaking’ have done nothing of the sort as it was obviously Olympus that did all of these things

OMDS have simply taken over inventory and ongoing production of cameras and lenses etc developed by the company who had been doing these things for 80 years
Doesnt come accross very well to me knowing the actual history

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
What annoys me is that OMDS have launched these promotional pieces saying ‘we’ve been doing such and such ..for 80 years‘ etc

OMDS (J.I.P) the company ‘speaking’ have done nothing of the sort as it was obviously Olympus that did all of these things

OMDS have simply taken over inventory and ongoing production of cameras and lenses etc developed by the company who had been doing these things for 80 years
It really depends on how you conceive of a large company/ corporation. As I understand the Olympus-JIP deal, JIP took over the non-medical optics business from Olympus and this included inventory, R&D operations and employees. Also included in the price was probably some measure of "goodwill" for the Olympus camera brand, which was effectively purchased by JIP.

So should the pronoun "WE" belong to the employees, or to the corporate owners? Obviously the folks who actually created the original PEN sixty plus years back are unlikely to still be with the company, so any use of "we" to encompass those accomplishments is a little bit disingenuous.

- K

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
and this included inventory, R&D operations and employees.
Basically the imaging department was spun off as a new company and I am sure those employees still consider themselves the same camera company as always but without the Olympus corporate overhead. I see no foul of many of those long time employees claiming ownership to the past of their department even if that department has a new name.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Sounds like a great name for an online shop specializing in Eastern traditional medicine or something like that.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was a teenager when I bought Olympus C-5060 and then replaced it with C-7070, and I never heard of the OM film cameras until recently, so "Olympus" might remain on my mind for longer, maybe forever.

But I think "Olympus" to "OM" ultimately it won't make much difference. The kind of people who spend $7500 USD on a lens and keep OM unable to fulfill even half of the demand obviously were not fazed by it. Olympus/OM has a small but dedicated following, and that's exactly what is needed in the age of smartphones.

Trankster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael
I had expected them to unveil something new and innovative rather than the name change, so the "announcement" was disappointing for me. I thought this ownership change and rebranding was old news. My first OM was the OM-1 when I graduated college, and last is the OMD EM-1 Mk II. I hope the brand does not die, but guess I will have to wait and see what they actually develop.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
^ I heard about "OM Digital Solutions" name but not about "OM System".

But yeah announcing a new product, even a new lens, something carrying the "OM System" brand to instill more confidence might have been a good idea.

Olympus in recent years never chased the mass market or followed the herd, they just tried to be different, and so they appealed to people who wanted to be different also. So even as the dedicated camera becomes more and more of a specialized or niche product, the Olympus/OM System will be fine, because it never tried to be anything more than that to begin with, and they explicitly state in their announcement that they will continue this strategy too. Being free from a huge corporation now might actually help them make their already targeted approach become even more targeted. So I am not worried about the future of the system, because that is the future of the whole industry. Establishing a strong identity, finding a small but dedicated audience, not being afraid of controversy - they've already done all this and their newfound independence from Olympus will only make it easier.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I hope the "new" company can do well and improve their marketing strategy. Pragmatically, my Olympus gear is capable of doing more than what my current skills allow and as long as the micro four thirds world is as good as it is now, and continues to improve, I'll be "staying the course". If I have to change systems down the line, then I'll do it. Hopefully at that point, there will be a lot more options in the full frame mirrorless camera world and plenty of deals on used gear. With all of the experience I've gained, especially in the past 5 years, I know what gear I need in terms of desired zoom and prime lenses. And if starting with a new system, I'd start with some prime lenses in order to avoid buying standard "kit zoom lenses" and end up having to replace them with quality lenses down the road.

As to the name change....can't say that I really like it. I'd like to see something with a little bit more "punch". But then again....there isn't anything special about Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. So it boils down to marketing and convincing the consumer that the micro four thirds system is more than adequate for most photographers, and that is an area that Olympus and Panasonic have not done very well!

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
As I said in another thread, below is a photograph of a 1970s brochure in my possession since then ...

1635660473691.png

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
https://smallsensorphotography.com/om-system-brand

X2 that Thomas Stirr is an incredible photographer. He makes a very good point that OM needs to emphasize what the micro 4/3 system can offer. Hopefully, they will be successful in making the company profitable while able to continue research and development to improve the sensor and offer new bodies and lenses. The system has already advanced far enough that the user has a wide range of lenses and bodies of varied size and weight. I love the fact that I can carry a very small body (E-M10 Mark II) and a couple of small, lightweight primes when needed, or use my E-M5 Mark II with my larger (and heavier) pro lenses when needed. The micro 4/3 system has more capabilities than most amateur photographers need, and is certainly capable of professional level work.

jk4u59

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte

Actually, I understood that OMDS also took the whole Research&Development areas.

Real Name
Walter
Here's what the OM System branding would look like, if the image is accurate. And, the 20 f1.4 Pro too. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it has the focus clutch. One commenter asked if OM System would appear on the camera body. I suspect it might just be OM on the front of the viewfinder housing.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-leaked-image-of-the-new-om-system-20mm-f-1-4-with-the-new-logo/

20mm.jpg

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom