OM-D10/PEN or RX100?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Remasuri, May 5, 2015.

1. Remasuri

Remasuri Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2015
    Hi,

my girlfriend is often tired walking around with her Canon DSLR and two zooms because of weight. She doesn't like primes either.

So I thought about getting her a new tool either adding a Sony RX100 III for small walkarounds/city trips and keeping her DSLR for other events like Zoo (when tele is needed or some special things)
    OR
    get her an OM-D10 kit with the 14-42 EZ and 40-150 instead.

Still pondering how the 14-42 or similar standard zoom compares to the sony because that would be the main lense 75% of time? And if there is something comparable to her Rebel and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 zoom in terms of IQ but smaller and lighter. (12-40 pro seems expensive and not THAT much lighter compared to her actual stuff though.)

To make things harder:
    I'm also thinking about getting a OM-D5II for myself in the future and thus we would be in one compliant system again. Otherwise i might just get her the sony, but I like using the same system and if I carry some lenses anyway, its no problem lending her some stuff on the trips.

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    If you want compact zoom lenses, check out Panasonic's 12-32 and 35-100 zooms for the GM cameras. They'll work on an OMD, naturally.

Still, there are no Micro 4/3 zooms as fast as the lens in the RX100.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes and no, depends on aperture equivalence and even then the RX is at f/2.8 (native) from about 32mm on so.....

Which Canon? While no there isn't really anything like the 17-50 f/2.8 for m4/3 (smaller / lighter / cheaper f/2.8 zooms). Currently there are only 2 that would be more like the Canon L glass, one each from Olympus and Panasonic. The Olympus is a little lighter than the Tamron, the Panasonic is 3/4 the weight. But both of the m4/3 options are wider, 24mm vs ~28mm.

Depending on which Rebel I wouldn't be surprised to see the E-M10 completely replace it for everything. Which zoom?

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Compared to a 17-50/f2.8 on APS-C, the closest comparable thing you'd be looking at in that case would be the LX100.

If smaller and lighter is a priority, something more like GF7 or GM5 might be the one to look at. With the GM5 you're getting the viewfinder (if that's really a priority) but it costs a lot more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the LX100 would be a good option instead of the RX100. Closer to the 17-50 in DOF control and a much better viewfinder. (IMHO)

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    My vote goes to GM5 + 12-32. Yes, the lens is slower but the sensor size levels the field with the Sony.
    The Pana 14-140 could be a good second lens for travel.

According to dxo latest m43 sensor should be on par or better then the Rebel ones. Not enough to compensate for the light difference of the Tamron though.
    From a couple of reviews the Tamron does not look like an uber lens so I do not expect IQ big differences with these lenses, except for the speed.

Right now for me reasonably compact fast "non-pro" zooms are the biggest hole in the m43 lineup, like 2.8-4 or the like.

Sony lens vs kit lens: again from dxo (RX ii not iii) the old sony lens doesn't looks something special.

And as davidzvi I wonder if she would ever go back to the Rebel after the switch.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you asked her which sounds better? Cameras are kind of as personal a fit as shoes, so it's hard to give them as gifts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Remasuri, you are not getting Tamron 17-50 value in an m4/3s zoom. I wouldn't recommend m4/3s for anyone if they don't want to shoot primes or spend some cash on larger 2.8 zooms. I could see augmenting her Canon kit with an LX100 or an RX100 (I, II or III), or even a Canon G7X if she wants to stay with menus she knows.

Or, how about something like the Panasonic FZ1000 to replace the Canon kit? IQ tradeoff, but not significant to a lot of people I would think. It is not small, but way lighter than Canon DSLR + 2 zooms. Does 4K video; zooms to 400mm. Something to consider.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That's an interesting opinion. The 12-32 has no equal among collapsible zooms, the 9-18mm is also tiny, and 14-140mm II is as sharp as any super zoom and much smaller...

I have an eclectic mish-mash of lenses for my kit, but only 1 native AF prime and no f2.8 zooms (well, I just bought the 11-22mm the other week, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you want to go with fixed lens zoom cameras, I'd consider the Oly Stylus 1, Pany LX100 or even a Fuji X30.

If you want an m43 ILC, I'd look at the 12-50, it is a decent performer and has the macro mode at 43mm and the 40-150/4-5.6

As much as she might not like primes, I'd recommend getting at least one for shooting in low light.

11. tkbslc

I just think he means there is nothing for m4/3 like the Tamron in that there are no cheap/sharp/fast f2.8 zooms. There are certainly plenty of good lens options, just not any fast and cheap zooms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    True. Tamron could probably make some good money if they sold a $500-$600 12-50/2.8 zoom for m43.

13. tkbslc

Yeah, but they get a lot of value of their SLR designs because it works on 3-4 mounts. If they made one for m4/3, it would be too small for APS-C mirrorless. If they made one for APS-C Mirrorless, it would be a little bigger and not as wide as we'd like for m4/3. I guess they could make a 13-35 and market it as an ultrawide for APS-C and standard for m4/3?

14. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I might be inclined to go RX100 iii. Very very compact and great all around performance. Been considering purchasing this myself (I already own the EM10) bc it can be carried basically everywhere with me. IMHO, the EM10 can't (same goes for other m43 bodies, with the exception of GM_?)

15. tkbslc

I honestly can't see carrying any camera with me literally everywhere - other than my phone. Even the RX100 is still 1.5" thick and weighs half a pound. It's like carrying 3 extra cell phones with you every where you go.

I tried for several years to find a "Carry everywhere" camera, and the truth was that I never found one I would use. Either I am going somewhere in which portability trumps IQ- in which case my iphone is the winner. Or I do care about quality more and my "big" camera is worth bringing. How often do I have shots where I kind of care about IQ, but not that much and I'm OK babysitting a small camera but not a slightly larger one?

I don't know, it just never worked out that I brought the "medium" camera anywhere despite buying it to take a camera more places.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Economies of mount as it were. The question might be how different is Tamron's business model vs Sigma's since their 19 / 30 / 60 have m4/3 & Sony NEX mounts.

I just sold the Sony I bought to go with my E-M10. I have a GM1 on it's way now. One thing about something like the GM1/GM5 is lens share. I can see the 12-32 or 9mm BCL sitting on on the GM1 while something else is on the E-M10 and instead of having to swap lenses just swap bodies. And individually I have a serious body and jacket pocket option.

17. tkbslc

It's just harder for zooms. Like I said earlier, if they were to make a standard zoom for APS-C mirrorless (Which would cover 4 mounts), it would be something like 16-50mm. Well that's 32-100 equiv on m4/3 with no real wide angle. It takes a lot of thought to make something that is useful on 1.5 and 2x crop.

As an example from last decade, Sigma made their 18-50mm available for use on 4/3. But it was a 36-100mm equivalent instead of the 27-75mm equivalent on APS-C as designed.

18. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I switched from the LX-5 (24-90 equiv) to m43 not for the better IQ but because the 90mm was too limiting. It has been perfect for two years then I tried to shoot wildlife, using a 1.7x teleconverter, and it was just impossible. I still pick it up sometimes as a small just-in-case option, but it's hard to switch to the old controls.

19. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I have the original RX100 and the EM10 with the EZ kit lens.
    The Olympus is a nice camera but the kit lens ( of which I've tried two examples ) is very low resolution by my standards and images taken with the RX100 on the same subject at the same time have always been more impressive.
    Basically I'm saying don't bother with the EZ kit lens as cameras like the RX100mk3 , Canon G16 and Lumix LX100 will make the EM10 look bad.

20. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I can understand that, but since we're talking about a female (in which case a purse is almost always being carried) I think it's a different story.

My vote goes for a Sony RX100 model (any of the 3), panny GM1 (or 5) or possibly a Ricoh GR or Nikon A (if fixed lens is ok). These things are very personal but in the case of my wife no matter how small the camera is (or system), she always ends up using her phone (iPhone 6 in her case). The Sony's have some creative and useful apps for smartphones that really expand their usability for those who like to take advantage of it.

• Funny Funny x 1