1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Yet another battery!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by j4hug, Feb 10, 2012.

1. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    Suppose it is progress, it will probably be a better battery but wouldn't a new battery be better if somehow it was backward compatible... at least usable in the Pens. Perhaps it is... Does any one know?
    I have an E5 which uses a new battery .. At least usable in the e3 whilst I had it.
    Travelling with my family with a whole range of olympus DSLRs would mean that we would need 5 different chargers!

2. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I'm disappointed, too. Fingers crossed that Olympus will transition all 5 series cameras to the new battery, at least.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I sure hope they are backward compatible too! I have 4 batteries which are either BLS-5 or BLS-1 or aftermarket compatibles. I sure don't want to end up carrying that many batteries which are not compatible between my cameras...

4. panda9

panda9 New to Mu-43

May 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    AFAIK, The E-M5 uses a new battery that can't be shared with any of the existing bodies.

Even with that bit of bad news... I own three 4/3 bodies (E-5, E-30, E-620), one Pen (E-P3), and have ordered the E-M5. By my count, I will only need three chargers, not five. The white BLM-5 and BLS-5 batteries can be charged in the "old" chargers. You just can't charge the black BLM-1/BLS-1 batteries in the newer white chargers, so you leave the white chargers at home.

I think Olympus has been more than fair about how they've been dealing with batteries. They've only changed them when they've had to. In the case of my E-620 and all the Pens I've owned, they've all used the BLS-1/5. I've been able to go through six 4/3 bodies and four m4/3 bodies and only have to deal with two battery types and two chargers.

That's way better than almost every other company out there. Sony and Panasonic are terrible about this.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oly has maintained essentially the same battery since the EP1 came out in summer 2009. It'll be almost 3 years. Try buying Panasonic, lol. Practically a new battery for each camera -- often with a proprietary chip! Or Sony.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Oh yeah, Olympus is the LAST company I'd complain about when it comes to batteries! At one point I had three Panasonic cameras and a Sony, each with its own battery, each proprietary and the cameras didn't work with third party batteries. And, you guessed it, the extra batteries were insanely expensive. Olympus has used the SAME batteries (or at least compatible ones) on every Pen camera made up until now, so if you had more than one body you could use the same batteries and chargers and extra batteries were really inexpensive. If they're making a new one for the OMD line, I'm fine with that, particularly if it has greater capacity. As long as they continue to use it throughout the new line.

Of course, Fuji and Ricoh are even better - the X100 and the GXR both use the same batteries and chargers and since I often walk around with just those two cameras, that's pretty convenient too. And those spare batteries are REALLY cheap because they've been used in a number of cameras.

Maybe that's part of why the only cameras I own or plan to own in the foreseeable future are Oly, Ricoh, and Fuji...

-Ray

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yep, Olympus (so far) hasn't locked out their batteries, so knockoffs work 100% (they show remaining battery life, etc)

It's too bad they had to use a new battery, but it's a new line. I suspect the main reason is due to the integrated EVF, the operating life of the E-M5 on the old battery would have been too short...

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

A battery made of unobtanium at this point even though we can preorder the grip that must have one. :rolleyes:

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Come on now, let's be reasonable. If you are lugging five different camera bodies (and a multitude of lenses, I would presume) on holiday what difference do all those chargers make anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I'm not complaining after amassing a half-dozen of the same cheap piece going in all pens.

Besides, that extra mA capacity is probably warranted with the doubled AF engine, IBIS and OLED to EVF switching.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Between 6 Olympus cameras I have kicking around in various states of repair, they all take only 2 different battery types and I only need 2 chargers for them all (though I have 4). Of the 3 I actually use, they all take the SAME battery and charger. I have 5 batteries and 3 chargers which I use for them, but I only really "need" just one charger. I have no problems with that. ;)

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    All the companies will have to make new batteries. Japan regulations require that moving forward, companies can't make products which use batteries with exposed contacts. For some reason, only Nikon forums are discussing it.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Batteries for Olympus camera's are the last thing people should be bitching about. Take a look at what those poor Panazonic users have to put up with!!!

14. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I don't want to give Olympus an inch, in case they follow Panasonic's example and take a yard! However, if it's due to new safety standards, i can forgive them... Provided they standardise to this model for the next three years.

15. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    OK I take your point Afaik, and as others have stated several of the other manufacturers have seemingly had an auto-redundancy policy with batteries ( my experience with Sony laptops and a variety of HP printers with a bewildering variety of ink cartridges .. But that is another story!) I had not tried charging the white batteries in the black chargers, I will do so now, thanks.
    Jerry