1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D won't wake up from long "sleep"...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jun 16, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I've had my OM-D for a little under a month now...and I've discovered an intermittent problem with it.

I generally leave my cameras on all the time. I just let them go to sleep between shots, but I rarely turn them off.

However, with the OM-D, sometimes there's an issue where the camera won't wake up if it's been in sleep mode for a long time 20-30 minutes or longer.

Usually, a half-press of the shutter button will wake the camera up just fine. But sometimes, it won't do anything, and even turning the camera off and on won't help, and I have to turn the camera off, remove the battery, put the battery back in and turn the camera on...has anyone else experienced this? It's rather annoying...

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    ITs in the manual, that if the camera sleeps for 30 minutes it automatically turns it off to save battery. But again that is an option, so you can turn it off of course. I cant remember exactly where that option is, but check in the "gears" menu.

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks...but is it normal that after that even if I switch it off and then back on nothing happens? It seems weird that I have to remove the battery and then re-start it for it to work...

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    If you have the 20 1.7 attached to the om-d and are still on an old firmware, then that's the problem. Try updating the firmware.

5. Magicmarker

Magicmarker New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    Sydney
    That is not normal in regular usage. Normally I just flick the switch on and off and it comes back. I haven't had to remove to battery to get it working again.

This has been he case with the olympus lenses I use. uci2ci might have a point with the 20mm.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    yes it has happened to me a couple of times. and to be honest i dont have an explanation for that. weird firmware glitches i think. :dash2:

7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I have had the issue where it won't always come back on. Two or three times I've had to remove the battery. No 20mm lens. My wife missed out on a day of shooting because she thought the battery I gave her died when it just locked up.

8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    That happened to me a while back and it was because of a firmware problem. I keep both of my EM-5s updated with the latest updates and I have not had that problem since.

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    You guys are awesome!!! Thank you :) How do I check which firmware is in the camera? It's good to know that it's likely not a serious problem and that I'm not the only one it's happening to. :)

By the way, I was using the Oly 9-18 lens. :)

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Firmware is one of the items in the bottom menu item.

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you! I'll check it out when I get home. :)

12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    OV3

A great way to ensure your firmware is up to date and update when necessary (as well as get superb quality image editing) is to go to the Olympus site and download the free Olympus Viewer 3 software.

It is a great editing suite and if you connect via USB cable it will check and advise if there is new firmware available for both camera and lens fitted.

I am not alone in agreeing that the image editing using OV3 is even better than that I get from Lightroom so it has become my primary software for my OMD files.

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada