OM-D won't wake from sleep.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by brettmaxwell, Dec 20, 2012.

1. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've searched for other threads, and found some slightly similar, but they were generally lockup that required the battery to be removed.

I have an OM-D with the latest 1.5 firmware (had same problem with 1.1? 1.2?) and I use the Pany 14 and 20 and Oly 45mm. I leave the EVF selection to manual and use the EVF almost exclusively for shooting. I have the sleep time set to 1 minute.

When the camera goes to sleep, most the time (80%?) it will not wake from sleep with a half-press of the shutter, but occasionally it will. Pushing any other buttons won't wake it either, but cycling the power switch brings it back.

Any ideas? It's getting really annoying.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Brett, if you set the sleep time to more than 5 minutes do you experience the same issue?

Regards,

Jim

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, are you just tapping the shutter release, or holding it down?

4. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    I'll give it a shot and report back.

Either. Once I'm trying to wake up the camera I've tried half-press, full-press, and every button and dial I can find. The only thing that wakes it up is flipping the power switch off and back on. On the occasion it does wake from sleep as expected it does so with just a half press of the shutter, just like my Nikons.

5. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    oops.

just as I was going to change the sleep setting to 5 minutes, I realized there are separate settings for "Sleep" and "Auto Power Off". I had sleep set to 1 min and auto power off set to 5 min. I've never seen that on any other camera, usually there's just a Sleep option, which essentially powers off, but can wake with a half-press.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I didn't know there was more choices for Auto Power Off...it used to be just Off and 4hours. Must have been added in the newer firmware.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep! Lots of options on the EM-5! :2thumbs:

Glad it's workin' for ya.

Jim