OM-D with Panasonic 14-45mm.. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goh_daniel, May 22, 2013.

1. goh_daniel

goh_daniel New to Mu-43

May 17, 2013
    Finally trading in my existing camera system(s) for the OM-D. Had a tough time deciding which lens to get to start with. I've always ever shot with primes (never shot with a zoom before), so I don't know if I'll be comfortable with this lens. But unfortunately I am on a budget and I have to make best use of my current available resources.

So... Panasonic 14-45mm, yay or nay? Another option I was considering was the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. But rather impractical if I don't have other ranges to support it.
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The 14-45 is the best IQ standard zoom besides the 12-35. It is what I use on my E-M5, and used on my G1 and GH2 before that. Works great, excellent lens.

That said, if you've always shot primes before keep in mind one of the nicest things about m43 is the excellent selection of good primes! So I would expect a prime or two in your future. If that's the case and money is tight you might want to get the Oly 14-42 II R for now - less than $100 used from people spliting up kits. It isn't quite as nice as the 14-45, but it is a very decent kit zoom (keep in mind the oldest 14-42 from Oly is a bit soft, make sure it is a II or II R version). If that means you'll be able to afford one of the less expensive primes (20/1.7, 45/1.8) sooner then that might be the thing to do.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The Panasonic 14-45 is well regarded among the kit zooms. Some feel that it is the best of the bunch. It is inarguably the most solidly built.

However, I would lean toward the P20 even if it were going to be my only lens for some time. It offers a wide enough field of view to be used in most scenarios and it's truly a gem of a lens: very sharp, terrific bokeh and very small. The one complaint you'll hear about the P20 is that it can be slow to focus, particularly in low light.
  4. DPitts

DPitts Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh NC
    Doug Pitts
  5. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I nearly took the plunge on this lens as its reputation is so great. While I have not used it, the reviews, posts and various other internet tidbits that I come across seem to indicate that while its the best kit lens out there. The 14-42 (both panny and oly) are not that far behind and the differences may be hard to spot in a number of situations.

I opted for a 14-42 to compliment my OMD because theirs no need to have OIS due to IBIS but that's just me :)
  6. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I've been using primes but picked up an Oly 14-42 II R for traveling. I've actually found I carry the Panasonic 20mm for low light and night shots but use the 14-42 during the day when I want to travel without a camera bag. It's surprisingly good when you consider the price. Some people don't like the fact that it collapses but it makes it easy to store in a small messenger bag.

Over the last month, the Olympus have been selling used for $65-$100, the Panasonic right around $175.00.