1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D with Metz 50 AF-1 (Out-of-sync)

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by picsnapr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. picsnapr

picsnapr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi All,
    I tried to search about this, but couldn't find any definitive answers anywhere.
    Here's my setup:
    • OM-D with the included mini-flash on the hot-shoe
      -> RC Mode on, with Group A (TTL) Channel 1 set in the camera RC menu
    • Metz 50 Af-1 in SL mode
      ->Group A and channel 1 set in the flash
    Result, the on-camera flash fires when I click the shutter, triggering the Metz (off-camera) flash fire as well...

But The problem is, I'm not able to get the off-camera idiot light to sync with my shutter :frown: I tried with all shutter speeds 1/160 (default sync speed) and below 1/125, 1/100..... 1/25, etc... But the Metz always fires away before the shutter opens :confused:

Anyone knows any additional settings required on either the camera or the Flash?

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I don't have OM-D so I can't help you there but it sounds to me like the Metz is going with the preflash. If you dial down the power on the Metz to like 1/4 or less, can you get it to flash twice: preflash and main flash?

3. picsnapr

picsnapr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2012
    Hmmm, I can't find any such setting to flash twice, either in camera or in the flash. Do you have the same Metz flash unit? Do you know where to check this setting?

4. picsnapr

picsnapr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2012
    Alright.... I fixed it :)
    Just found an option to 'Reset' the Flash by pressing the 'Mode' button for 5 sec. Once reset, I setup the Flash again in the SL mode with same Group A and Channel 1...

And Yipee, I'm back in business... The Flash now fires fantastically in sync with the camera shutter, even at 1/160! :D