1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D with 12-50 or GH2 with 14-140? What is the best option?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by gdourado, May 12, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello,

How are you?
    Has you are probably aware by my other threads, I'm really considering the purchase of a new camera body.
    I'm finding the m43 is a great system for me, and since I don't really shoot my DSLR's no more, I'm wanting to expand my m43 kit, in lenses and camera.
    After some reading around here and other sites, I'm currently debating the following...
    If I decide to purchase a new body, I'm debating between either getting the Olympus OM-D with the 12-50 or body only, or the Panasonic GH2 with the 14-140.
    From what I read, the OM-D is currently the best m43 camera out there... But it is also the most expensive. The lens it comes with, the 12-50 has a good focal length range, it's weather sealed, but is a bit on the slow side, and a bit big...
    I can also go for the OM-D, body only, but the OM-D body only is more expensive than the GH2 with the 14-140...

From what I read, the 14-140 is a great lens. Of course it has it's shortcomings, but for a 10x zoom lens, I read the IQ is really good. It is also convenient and a good option for a general travel lens... The GH2 with the 14-140 paired with my current E-PL2 with the 20mm, can be a great kit...

The GH2 also seems a good camera, with a good sensor, good viewfinder and lot's of external control.

From what I read, the IQ and focus speed is better on the OM-D. The OM-D comes on top in Dynamic Range and high ISO shooting, but how on top is that?
    Is it a big difference?
    And being realistic... COming from an E-PL2 to a GH2, is it a good and visible upgrade in IQ?

If it were you?
    What would you do?

I really want forward to read your comments and experiences on this matter.

Thank you all.
    Best wishes.

Gonçalo.

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I have not had a chance to use the OM-D yet, but the GH2 is a very capable camera. In terms of noise and dynamic range it's very similar to the Canon EOS 7D, which is no small feat.

Jumping from the E-PL2 to the GH2 will result in a very noticeable improvement of image quality.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The OMD is a newer camera and has some of the latest advances (5 axis IS, 9FPS etc.). The GH2 is two years old and lags behind the OMD in IQ...but not THAT far behind. The OMD will run you right around $1000 for the body. I just picked up a nearly new GH2 for much less (it was a trade but the value was about $600). The GH2 has higher quality video in that it can do true 60p, has a multi-aspect sensor, a larger EVF and flip out LCD. I went from an E-P3 to the GH2 and it was a definite jump in IQ. IMHO the best thing about the OMD (or any Olympus camera) vs Panasonic cameras are the better AWB, metering and pleasing OOC JPEG color at the default settings. I have found that with some pretty simple in-camera settings my GH2 produces terrific color on a par with the Olympus.

They are both excellent cameras and you really need to ask yourself if there are key features of one or the other that you want. In my case I chose the GH2 because...

- Significantly lower cost allowed me to pick up a Panasonic 14-45 and 45-200 as well
    - I REALLY like the articulating LCD on the GH2 (and am not a flip up LCD fan)
    - I am a long time Panasonic G2 user and am very comfortable with the UI
    - The GH2's controls are intuitive and really well thought out (I think possibly the best of all m43 cameras)
    - Larger magnification in EVF

• Like Like x 2
  4. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    That's good to hear...
    And as far as lenses?
    Is the 14-140 a better and more useful lens than the 12-50?

Cheers!

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had a GH2 for quite a while and now use an E-M5. Here's my take on some of the points you mentioned:

The GH2 also seems a good camera, with a good sensor, good viewfinder and lot's of external control.

No doubt about any of that.

From what I read, the IQ and focus speed is better on the OM-D.

If there is a difference in focus speed, it's not noticeable to me. The most noticeable difference in AF between those two cameras is that the GH2 focuses better in low light. I also don't notice much difference in IQ between the cameras when I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom, which is what I do 99.9% of the time. For the 0.1% of the time that I shoot in-camera JPEG, I prefer the E-M5 results (more detailed and more pleasing colors from my subjective point of view).

The OM-D comes on top in Dynamic Range and high ISO shooting, but how on top is that?
    Is it a big difference?

There are some tests showing differences. Like I said, I don't notice much difference.

And being realistic... COming from an E-PL2 to a GH2, is it a good and visible upgrade in IQ?

If you shoot RAW, then yes there is a noticeable upgrade between those cameras.

If it were you?
    What would you do?

Well, I changed the GH2 to an E-P3 mainly because I loved the looks and feel of the E-P3. Then I got caught up in E-M5 fever :rolleyes:.

If I were buying today, I would get the E-EM5 over the GH2 but not because of anything to do with AF, IQ, or weather sealing. My reasons would be:
    • Prefer flip display to fully articulated display
    • Like having image stabilization with my 14, 20, 25, and 45mm prime lenses
    • Prefer the looks of the E-M5
    • Prefer the ergonomics of the E-M5
    • Prefer the touchscreen on the E-M5
    • Prefer the muted sound and feel of the E-M5 shutter release
    • Like trying new cameras

For me, those reasons justify the price difference, but I don't see one camera as an objective "upgrade" over the other.

• Like Like x 4
  6. BrankoD76

BrankoD76 New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2012
    I think 14-140mm is not as sharp as 12-50mm. Great lens, but it's never going to give you photos as 12-50mm. Also 12-50mm is a cheap way to get 12mm range. If you're looking for an all-purpose zoom... Olympus 14-150mm, it's at the half of the weight of the Panasonic 14-140mm.

Branko

• Like Like x 1
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It would be interesting to compare the shutter sound of the OM-D to that of the Fuji X-Pro 1. The Fuji is exceptionally quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    All excellent reasons to choose the OMD and really just highlight the fact that the OMD and GH2 are really similar (and capable) cameras. It really boils down to personal preference. There really is no wrong choice.

You say potato...

• Like Like x 1
  9. BrankoD76

BrankoD76 New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2012
    I think OM-D has very quiet shutter. As far as my Fuji experience, I think X100 is even more quiet compared to OM-D... Never tried X-Pro 1...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The X100 shutter is virtually silent. The fake shutter release sound on that camera is pleasing though :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrankoD76

BrankoD76 New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2012
    As people are getting older, they usually stop to hear higher pitch sounds, so in 30 years I will ask you... What fake sound? :D Where is my remote control? :D

12. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    I read somewhere that the OM-D is a bit smaller than the GH2?
    How smaller really?
    Does anyone have side by side pictures?

Thanks!
    Cheers!

13. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    In my opinion handling is the main difference between those two cameras, although I would expect the E-M5 to produce better JPEGs, which is completely irrelevant to me.

14. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Handling meaning the GH2 has more external and direct controls and the OM-D has more customizable buttons and dials?

Cheers!

15. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    http://camerasize.com

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  17. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    I've also read that the OM-D comes on top in metering and Auto White Balance.
    Also for colors.
    Is this true?
    Is the AWB and Metering of the GH2 unreliable?

Cheers!

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    In looking at your questions it appears as though you would rather have an OMD and are wanting someone to tell you that the GH2 is not as good at this or that. In truth the OMD and the GH2 are really equivalent cameras in most cases. Nether has a serious flaw and each has a few things it does better than the other.

The OMD and GH2 are almost the same size and from what I understand from folks that have both they are both comfortable to hold with the GH2 possibly having a small edge in controls. I have a GH2 and it is a very comfortable camera to use. The OMD has a more pleasing default AWB and in general Olympus cameras have better metering. The AWB on the GH2 tends toward blue but it is a simple matter to change that setting in camera to look warmer like the default Olympus AWB. Olympus has terrific auto metering. The metering on the GH2 is not unreliable but sometimes it can get fooled. Frankly, the biggest issue I have had with the metering on the GH2 is that the AEL button is to the left of the thumb wheel and you can sometimes hit it with your thumb. Of course you just hit it a again to disengage it but It took me a few minutes to figure that one out.

As far as IQ, I think you will find them remarkably similar. The OMD appears to have a bit better DR and a bit less noise in the shadows. The GH2 has a bit better video. The OMD has IBIS and the the GH2 only has stabilization if it is in the lenses. I can honestly say that while IBIS Is fun to have it does not play a significant part in my decision making process when choosing a camera. You just have to decide how important it is to you.

The OMD is a gorgeous camera and is quite reminiscent of the old Olympus OM film cameras. It has superb picture quality and as far as I can tell no one that has bought be has regretted it. It's fast, well made and has terrific IQ. I suggest going out and see if you can find one in a store to handle and see if you like it. I would say do the same for the GH2. Go with the one that feels best.

19. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello.
    Thank you for such an elaborate response.
    Indeed I am really struggling to make a decision.
    With cameras seem indeed more similar than different.
    For me, what is also making my decision more difficult is the lenses. The Olympic 12-50 vs the Panasonic 14-140.

What is the better option?

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

20. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    One more question.
    If I buy the om-d kit with the 12-50, does it come with a lens hood?

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2