[OM-D] Which mode do you shoot in?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by majordude, Jan 1, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Which mode do you usually shoot in? Aperture priority like the old OMs or something else?
  2. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Good question ... i want to share my short experience with OMD. I used to shoot in aperture and sometimes in shutter priority. while my results with adjusting EV compensation are acceptable, honestly quite far from the results I am getting right now using Scene mode. Using 12-50mm kit only.
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Almost always aperture. Occasionally shutter, if I'm in unfavorable conditions (weather + low light etc).
  4. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Since October I'm only using manual both settings and focus, it's a personal challenge to make my tuckus slow down and think far more :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    For street photography, always S (quite appropriate, I think). I'd also use this when playing around with the IBIS and longer shutter speeds. For everything else I would use A, except when using a flash when I would consider using M.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Manual, like the oldest and best of the OM's, the OM-1. Occasionally A priority, but not often. Shutter priority even less. I'm usually shooting stationary things, so manual works. The other modes have their uses, but I only use them when I need them.
  7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    for my professional work with Nikons I'm in Manual 99.9% of the time, even in changing lighting conditions. but with my OM-D as my personal camera I'm in Aperture priority about 95% of the time because I'm usually not in that same focused mentality, and I'm shooting far less frames, so consistency for sake of workflow isn't as important.
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Manual most of the time and if not in 'M' then 'A'.

9. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Aperture priority mainly but Manual in really low light and Program mode when street shooting or similar, i.e. where things are going on and I don't want to think too much.
  10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Aperture priority 95% of the time. Otherwise, manual. Shutter priority only on rare occasions for things like like trails and blurry movement. For most action shoots I just use manual. The OM-D has been making me use manual more and more often though, thanks to the dual control wheels though!

This inspires me to make a thread about what focus mode people use!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Unless I am making a multi-shot pano (for which I use Manual), I am always in Aperture Priority.
  12. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    M usually. I shot mostly shutter priority this past holiday week with family, matching speed to activity. From 1/30 for posed shots to 1/80 or more for the kids playing seemed to do the trick.
  13. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    "A", usually, with some "S" and "M" thrown in. I find that unless I keep a close eye on my aperture, I get too much stuff out of focus (shooting my primes) since in "P" the camera tends to choose the largest aperture indoors.
  14. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I didn't see any AUTOs!
  15. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall

Panasonic G5 mode...:rofl:

And sometimes...

Panasonic GX1 mode...:dance3:

OK...I will sit back down and be quiet.

Happy New Year to the OMD users of the forum!

16. titanaircraft

titanaircraft New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    M for indoors/flash usage and A for outdoors.
  17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    pure manual mode...
  18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I really think that to buy an E-M5 and use it in "auto" would be a waste. So I'm glad to see no "auto" either.
  19. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Actually, I was just about to post that the auto function is quite frankly, super useful. I use it whenever I'm out with friends and hand the camera over to them. Yes, I use the E-M5 for self portraits or group portraits with friends. I have my camera with me everywhere I go, and for social outings I can't always take photos myself so the iAuto mode(or at least P mode), is very useful when handing the camera to someone else.
  20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A - for portraiture
    S - for street
    M - for strobes