om-d what can my lenes do, and other ?`s

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monchan, Jul 9, 2012.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Hi all, had my OM-D for around a week, been too busy to really get into (wifey, says I have to do other things before playing with new toy)

I got the double lens kit ;M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6II R, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R

My main purpose for this camera was to take action shots of kendo. The guy in the shop said it`s just about perfect for that, action shots low light etc.
    but I can even get moving shots of my kids inside the house they are blured and show motion. although I had the 40-150mm outside at the beach the other day and was getting some ok results in Iauto and manual mode. so I guess lerning the camera and practice I`ll get it.

Even in SCN mode sports, I couldnt get any good shots just blured motion,
    my previous P&S did great in this mode for the kids??

I tried to match settings from good shots taken in iauto, then recreate them in M mode but the results are very different, why would that be? I thought it would be a good way to learn M mode.

Anyway my main qustions are,

What are the above lenes best suited to? and can they be used for action shots

I want to get good lenes for action and family and around town.
    family and around town the panasonic 25mm seems to be popular for alsorts.

what about action?
    Can someone post a quick guide for action shots,
    is this something to do with AF settings, S-AF or C-AF?
    any advise would be great.

Kendo in indoors often in low to good light
  2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    If you're shooting anything indoors, you're either gonna need a good flash set-up, a fast lens, or both. This could be the perfect opportunity to give yourself an excuse to buy the 25mm Summilux.
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I can't answer all your questions but I'm wondering what you are setting your iso at? Indoors you are going to want a pretty high iso. Like 1600. I find the best thing is to set your iso to 'auto'. You'll have to go into the menus and set the parameters. I use 200 to 1600. With auto iso your camera will try and use the best iso (lowest) without sacrificing shutter speed. For action you want like 1/350 second or faster. You might even have to go to iso 3200.

As with all photography the lens is much more important than the camera. We're all waiting for fast telephotos. At present they do not exist excepting the new Oly 75mm. Mucho dinero. Its effective reach on your camera would be really nice for indoor sports. :thumbup:
  4. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    When I was at the beach I had the iso at 1600 and was able to ajust the aperture and take some good shots. Indoors was another story. if I tried to set the iso at 1600 I couldnt adjust the aperture and could only get under exposed shots??

So of the two kits lenes none are really suitable for action shots is that right?
    The 25mm is definately the next bit of kit, on my secret wish list. ha ha ha
  5. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    You probably won't be able to get close enough with the 25mm. Try that focal length out with your 14-4m zoomed in at 25mm.

Try this.

Mount the 40-150mm, set auo ISO at 3200 and shoot in shutter priority mode.

Try 1/250 first. Then push it quicker if it's not enough to freeze action. Your shots may under expose a bit, use exposure compensation accordingly.

Instead of the Panasonic Leica 25mm, what you need is a faster and brighter telephoto lens. Unfortunately it doesn't exist at the moment.
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Depending on how far away you are from the action, the 45mm f/1.8 might be a better choice than the PL25. Of course, the new 75mm f/1.8 might be even better suited for your need, but it comes at a high price!

However, before you splash out on a fast prime, or even the upcoming 35-100mm f/2.8 from Panasonic, you might want to get a better understanding of basic photography, the relationship between ISO, f/stop and shutter speed, play around with different settings indoor, and then decide if m4/3 is the right system for you, and if so, what lens you want to purchase. Action shots is known to be the archilles' heel of the m4/3 system. It could be done, but it takes a lot of practices and skills, as well as the right lenses to do it...

The aperture size of your kit lenses is probably too slow if you want to capture indoor action. Whoever sold you the camera + kits for "indoor action shot" ought to be fired!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

You don't want iso 1600 at the beach. Surely you were getting the blinking 4000 warning meaning over exposure. 200 was made for the beach. Sometimes people even put neutral density filters (sunglasses for lenses) with really bright light to get slower shutter speeds. Making falling water look milky is an example of why one might do this.

Have you downloaded the full manual or looked at it from the disk that came with the camera? :smile:
  8. nueces snapper

Also. If you adjusted the aperture to get decent shots at the beach with iso 1600 you must have been shooting at f/22. You get defraction at anything over f/11 and it decreases image quality. :smile:

High f numbers give you huge depth of field. Bad for portraits. Good for landscapes. The defraction thing is different with different lenses. Large format shooters with some of their lenses can shoot at f/32. :smile:
  9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
  10. nueces snapper

Yeah I noticed. I should go back and hit the thanks button for you. I put it here cause this op has a lot of questions about how to get his needs met with his new camera. :smile:
  11. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Looked at that Huff article last night. IIRC The guys used a 1,8/45 OLY for those photos.
  12. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Maybe on a nice sunny day, but I personally had to use iso 1600 on an overcast day trying to catch some surfers with a slow tele with a D90. Pics did not come out too great that day. Most people who shoot action at the beach have a Canikon 70-200 f2.8 or at least a 70-200 f4 with a camera that can handle higher iso values. Its also why I'm looking forward to the Panasonic 35-100mm and using it with the OM-D.
  13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    This! +1 to what hkpzee said.

Before you spend your money I think you'd be best served understanding basics of exposure. An absolutely *fantastic* investment would be a copy of Understanding Exposure - I am not exaggerating when I say this book made me a better photographer 5 minutes into it. Once you are fully comfortable with the relationship between ISO/aperture/shutter speed and you can make much better decisions about what gear you want & need for different situations.

If you're only using zooms, you probably need at least one large-aperture lens to complement your setup in low light, such as indoor shots. That and adjusting ISO as needed will also help you bring the shutter speed up and you can reduce the motion blur. I've taken my share of blurry photos with my m4/3 gear in low light trying to get away with no flash and without jacking up the ISO too high, and it's a definite balancing act. Again though I really would recommend not spending any money just yet; learn more about what you have to work with and it'll tell you what you're lacking. Otherwise you're likely to keep spending aimlessly trying to figure it out, and end up with an unncessarily huge lens collection like me :wink:

The other possibility would be blur due to missed focus, which is likely an issue with auto-focus either focusing on the wrong spot or the subject moving faster than AF can shutter can cope. Certainly m4/3 gear is not the best camera system for autofocus on moving subjects, though it can be done - and I have many dog park photos to prove it!
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    These are mainly outdoor lenses. They need lots of light. In daylight or with a strong flash indoors, they should be fine for action. Otherwise, they're better suited to still subjects.

15. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

"Understanding Exposure" is a great book, and I'll second the recommendation.

Another book I like and is much quicker read is "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. Start with Volume 1. The others are good, but not as all-encompassing. The Kelby book explains in 1-2 pages how to set your camera to shoot in a variety of common situations. He doesn't go into the why's, but focuses on the how's. (Understanding Exposure is great for the why's.)

As for lenses, you could add the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for indoor shooting. It's only $200 and a bargain at that price. The 45mm f/1.8 from Olympus is an outstanding lens and also a bargain at $400. I have both, and like both.

For shooting Kendo indoors, you're going to want a fast lens and the 45mm f/1.8 should do it for you.

If you stick to your current lenses, use your 40-150 at 40mm (not the long end). Set the camera to Av, set the aperture to f/4.0 (the maximum opening/smallest f-stop value), set the ISO to 2000 or higher, and look for the camera to set a shutter speed of at least 1/250s. 1/400s or higher is better.

Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Also a great book series! I have The Digital Photography Book Vol 1 & 2 but haven't finished Vol 2 yet. These are all three books that you can go back to again and again and walk away with something useful. Just the other day I went back to re-read some chapters of Vol 1 and found a whole mess of good tips I'd forgotten about (or not fully understood) the first time around.
  17. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    First thing, I want to apologize to everyone who has helped me with this, and given such great replies. I should never have posted without learning more about my camera and at least reading the majority of the manual. However you have pointed me into a few different directions with some great info. So I do feel it was worth it.

I do have the book understanding exposure though have just really started it, and as one member said after reading for 5 miins. felt you could take better pictures. well thats about what happened with me and got me out in manual mode.
    others mentioned not buying another lens until I`m sure what I need. Well I dont have much money, so I`ll just get the sigma or the oly 45mm as they are pretty cheap here in japan. And I`ll just learn from there and see how I go. A lot of links have been provided so a bit more reading is called for. Here are some snaps.
    One of my boy jumping really blured, still having trouble with those. then there are some of kendo (not done in manual but various other settings) and a couple from the beach.
    thanks everyone.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]