OM-D Weather Sealing?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lonemantis, Jun 14, 2012.

1. lonemantis

lonemantis New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2012
    I searched around to see if this had been asked before, but it did not seem like it as far as I could tell.

Anyway, does anyone know if the OM-D is still weather sealed with the hot shoe and accessory port covers removed?
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Its just a light piece of plastic filler. To answer, it is absolutely still fully sealed.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's fine with the hotshoe cover removed (as any E3 & E5 owner will testify to), but not the accessory port since there's voltage there, might even be high voltage for the FL-LM2 flash.

It's a shame they didn't make the port with a retractable door, instead of that rubber piece that can easily be lost.
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    That would be an outright safety hazard. :eek: It would also mean DC-to-DC voltage converter was in the body.
  5. elj4176

elj4176 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    So if the E-M5 is weather sealed but I do not have any weather sealed lenses what is the best way to shoot pics in rainy conditions? Is it as simple as putting a plastic bag around the whole cam with an opening for the lens? Better options?
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    If the lens isn't weather sealed, the bag should go completely around the opening.
  7. elj4176

elj4176 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    Makes sense. Thanks

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I don't have an OMD so I can't look for myself...

Does the cover for the accessory port have any kind of seal? Ie. an o-ring or some kind of rubber? Because if it's just a bit of plastic (no matter how snuggly it fits) it's not going to provide any additional sealing...
  9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The flash isn't large enough for the circuitry required.

The cover itself is rubber (it can flex) and on the inside it has an oval moulding that surrounds the port itself.
  10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    It does not, but the cover itself is a rubbery material.