Om-d warranty

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pokemon, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Hi all
    I may buy an OMD of which i will be the second owner...
    My question is if the previous owner has not filled out the warranty, does that mean that once i buy the camera and will out the warranty, the warranty comes under my name?

please advise as i have no idea about Olympus warranty policy.

p.s The seller will enclose the original receipt as well. Is that enough for the warranty to be fine?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You should e-mail that question to Olympus. The reply will be in black and white, and if it's favorable, and you do buy the camera, and somewhere down the road need warranty work, you have documentation stating you're covered.
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    also, share the answer with us =)
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    As long as you don't tell them, if you have the receipt you will be fine.

Technically the warranty is not transferable.
  5. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    are you sure about this?
    anyone here been a second owner without any warranty issues?
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I posted a question to Oly, and I got the same answer as Mike -- not transferable. No idea what that means practically.
  7. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Tough the policy could be vary between country. The consensus of Olympus service and repair centre were:
    1. You should bring the owner side of warranty card + the buying receipt if you like to claimed your warranty within the period of warranty. Sometimes the copy of receipt will suffice.
    2. Some of Olympus service and repair centre only accept the warranty claim if your warranty card have stamp from the store/seller, and if you bought it locally (not all Olympus service centre is worldwide olympus service appointed member)
    3. As long as the first owner not registering the camera/lens serial number to Olympus (through mail or internet) then you can claimed yourself as the first owner.
    4. Mostly Olympus will honoring the warranty regardless the current owner of Olympus camera or lens.
    5. If you find the trouble for claiming warranty you should mail or call the Olympus rep and explain the situation thoroughly. They usually came out with reasonable solution.
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I've always wondered about this... between my Canon, Panasonic, Sigma, and now Oly purchases... I have never seen the dealer/seller field filled out. Luckily, I've never had to claim warranty (just "recall" on the 5D mirror, but I was 2nd owner and they didn't care).
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I share similar experience as Linh. Canon just looked at the serial number to determine warranty on my 5D and 16-35 no receipt or card required.

10. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    the seller has sent in the rebate from olympus...does that affect the that it now registers the camera in his name??

sorry for the stupid questions but its my first time buying this camera and its i'm worried. Olympus clearly hold me that the warranty is not transferable but i've seen many buy this camera as second owners from this site so i was wondering if its ok really?
  11. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I would say yes. That does affect it a fair bit.
  12. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The store where I purchase OM-D (located just about a kilometer away from Olympus Service and Repair Centre) filled out and stamp the owner portion of warranty card.

And someone in Malaysia just reporting that his/her Olympus camera (If I'm not mistaken it's a m4/3) got rejected because it's not bought locally.

In singapore (among forum member) is kind of mandatory to give the buyer a copy of your original receipt, if you sell part of your kit. i.e one of lens from dual kit lens. It's help the new owner if he/she have to claim the warranty.
  13. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    i guess i'll wait to find a brand new one from a camera store. anyone know where i can find a silver em-5?
  14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you're looking for body-only in silver, the waiting list is very, very long.