OM-D w/ 12-50mm weather sealing... may just win me over

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rich9cinti, Jun 11, 2013.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    My trip to the Philippines is drawing near and my pre-order of the E-P5 will not be delivered in time. It may be a blessing in disguise :tongue:

Anyhow, it is the rainy season in the Philippines and the weather sealing on the OM-D and 12-50mm lens is very attractive to me now. Anyone have anything to share or stories to tell related to the weather sealing abilities of this combo?

2. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    One Data Point on Weather Sealing

Recently was out with granddaughters and had OMD/12-50 combo on my belt using Peak Designs Capture. Twice was caught in the rain with no way of sheltering the camera. Both times just wiped outside with paper towel and have had no issues. Not a controlled test but I certainly did not worry.:smile:

3. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    We had a bbq last weekend and got hit with a traditional Florida afternoon downpour. Threw the 12-50 on wondered around in the rain (beer helped encourage this) to continuing shooting. No issues whatsoever.

4. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Yeah the weather sealing is great to keep you shooting especially when your caught outdoors by surprise with a down pour.

There's a $150 instant rebate now for the body and 12-50mm kit now. At $1,149, a good buy?

5. ClintonM3

ClintonM3 New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2013
    We had a pretty big Nor'east earlier this year, known as Nemo. Nearly 2 ft of snow, at a rate of couple of inches per hour. No problem.

6. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    You'll probably want a hood to keep water off the front element, I just picked up a collapsible rubber one for a couple dollars but haven't had a chance to test it in the rain yet. I can, however, confirm that it doesn't vignette at 12mm.

7. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Brought the OM-D w/12-50 on a roaring rapids water ride attraction at an amusement park. Used it for video and it performed flawlessly. Just wiped it down after and it was good to go for the rest of the day.

8. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    You have a link or picture of the rubber hood?

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Olympus weather sealing is excellent...while I don't own the omd, I do own the E-5 with several weather sealed lenses, and have never had an issue with it in crappy wet cold conditions.

10. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Took this last month with my 12-50. It was raining just a tad. lol

plymouth.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The WR feature of the 12-50 makes it a no-brainer for the OM-D body, at least to me. I plan to eventually get the kit with the lens. Some people who have the 12-50 have complained about results, but it's fairly clear that a few of the zooms have QC issues. If you get a bad one, send it back for a replacement. Good copies of the 12-50 give great results.

12. For me the weathersealing is THE reason to have the 12-50mm. One thing that I noted only yesterday on my E-M5 is that a particularly large drop of water actually set off the touchscreen shutter while I had the screen flipped out.

13. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Love not having to worry about a bit of rain.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/atombrown/8667435207/" title="Torrential. by atombrown, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Torrential."></a>

14. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Thanks for all of the great responses! Can't wait to get the kit and I did order an inexpensive JJC hood for the 12-50mm lens. Big fan of hoods, rain or shine.

15. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    I went to the Iguazu waterfalls in Argentina and used on the boat tour right under the waterfall with no problems at all :)

16. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I shot a video of ripples from the boat I was in with the e-m5 just above the waterline last summer. Camera got all splashed down with saltwater. I just gently hosed the camera down when I got to shore, no issues.

17. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    I'd love to try a different copy of the 12-50, mine usually produces average results in my opinion.

18. ariel777

ariel777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I just ordered the OM-D/ 12-50 kit (in silver) from B&H as my entry point in the Micro 4/3 universe. I also ordered the 75/1.8 and the 75-300, and have the 17/1.8, 45/1.8 and the 9-18 on deck. The rubber lens suggestion is an excellent one as I had purchased same for all of my Nikon DSLR lenses. The prices are reasonable, and, as I recall, B&H had/has them available. As an ole fart with a chronic weak back, the burden of carrying the DSLR load has become much too much. This world looks interesting, and with a lightened burden incredibly enjoyable.

19. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    I hear ya and welcome. I still tote around my DSLR for my gig work but I always look forward to shooting with my :43: Enjoy!

20. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    this is the same as the one I got

I went with 58 instead of 52 so that I could share it with my 35-100 when I use a CPL