Om-D vs Pany G3?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by gdourado, Apr 24, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

How are you?
    So, I currently have a E-Pl2.
    I really enjoy the camera for it's size and portability.
    I was however thinking about picking up a second m43 body. One with EVF and a bit more of direct controls.
    Also, a bit more of sensor performance in high ISOS would be nice.
    I would love to have the Om-D for it's styling and the fact that it is the latest m43 camera.
    However, the Om-D cost more than twice the Panasonic G3...
    The Om-D is weather sealed and has that new in body stabilization...
    But the EVF is basically the same, as it is the sensor...
    So, is the Om-D worth it?
    Or would it be better to go for the G3 and save the money for some more glass?

Hope to ear from you.
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I already have the G3 and did consider the OM-D but decided the G3 suits me fine and I don't really see the OM-D blowing it away in performance if much at all for the kind of shooting I do.
    There are a couple of lenses on the horizon I'm keen to consider (35-100 and 60mm macro) so have decided to wait till they are hopefully released and put my money there.
    I'm also waiting to see what Pany release this year wrt GH3 and G5 before I'd consider buying another m4/3 body.

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    G3 x 3 + £42 (after £50 cashback)= 1 x OM-D EM-5 :smile:

GH2 x 2 + £41 (after £50 cashback) = 1 x OM-D EM-5 :smile:

In the UK that is, go figure.

Both exceedingly good camares, I have one of each.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    First, the two cameras don't have the same sensor. There's ample evidence by now that they perform differently, and the OM-D sensor seems better in at least some respects. How much better, and what trade-offs there might be, await more thorough testing. In some examples from the OM-D, I see very odd artifacts in some jpeg images, although I doubt they'd be visible in normal size images or prints.

But other than the fact that both cameras are m43 and have built-in EVFs, they are very different in almost every respect. Do you care about weather-proofing, a rugged, all-metal build, or lots of manual controls? If those are important, you won't like the G3. Do you like using the touch screen for most settings? Then the G3 might suit you fine.

The OMD doesn't have a built-in flash. If you use the flash a lot, or even occasionally, how will you feel about having to remember and carry a separate unit?

The G3 has a full articulated LCD, the OMD a tilt-LCD. Do you prefer either one?

The G3 doesn't have IBIS. That doesn't matter a lot to me, but it might to you, especially if you have a number of Oly lenses without OIS.

My suggestion, unless you really, really need the new camera right now, is wait a bit. See what the review sites have to say about it. Wait for some owner reports after the "Wow I got my new OMD and it's the most incredible thing I've ever owned" excitement wears off.

And maybe consider the GH2. A lot cheaper than an OMD, especially with recent price reductions, a full set of manual controls, some features the OM-D still doesn't offer, and very good IQ. Or wait a bit longer and see what the GH3 offers. It's likely to be announced later this year, although no one knows for sure.

Or, spend the money on lenses instead. That will likely have more impact on your images than any new body.