OM-D vs. Canon 1Ds Mark II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jman, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Did an ISO test between the E-M5 and the old (but still great) 1Ds II. Can 8 years of technological advancement make up for 4x the sensor area?

OM-D E-M5 vs a Full Frame Legend, Part 1 @ Admiring Light

Answer? Very close, but not quite. Still, it's definitely close enough to not really matter in daily use, and is plenty good enough for my needs. I'm going to do a few more tests over the next week or two, which will be mostly real world. While the tests like I did for this are somewhat interesting, I'm much more interested in how the cameras perform in real life.

• Like Like x 4
  2. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Great post.
    Thank you for taking the time to do the test!

It surprised me a bit, like you said, the 1ds is a full frame legend and at the time of its release probably the best professional camera out there.
    Still, in 8 years a lot happens...s
    And also funny is that a used 1ds II costs about the same as a new om-d.

For the same price, I would take the omd, with it's great features, small size of camera and lenses, in body is and all...

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting article, I look forward to the real world scenes!

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Right, but I have a 1D.
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJqHPHLExo]Right, but I have a 1D. - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 6
  5. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Thanks for doing the comparison. I have a 1DMKII and it has worked well for what I use it for ( shooting dog and horse shows often in very poor light)
    I love the "lightness" of the M43 systems but not ready to give up my 1D and fast L lenses just yet. Will be taking the G3 with me to shows this weekend (and leaving the big guns at home) to give it a go in the real world.

6. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    hey jordan,

tell the guys at POTN that the e-m5 is a competitor to Iso performance and the thread will go quiet :)

Seriously I've found the OMD to perform much better than my 5d classic. This is based on my 5dc w/ my L primes vs OMD w/ 25 f/1.4.

However the OMD cannot touch the 5dmk2 when it comes to accuracy. The OMD is good but the focus point (small size) pin points much more resolution (ie accurate eyelash detail when at a further distance). Mind you this is my experience with the limited amount of m43 lenses I own.

NO doubt the OMD is scaring alot of prosumer nikon/canon dslr owners in IQ.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have just purchased an OM-D and I have, and love, my IDsMK11. IQ aside, after my first outing with the OM-D (evening shots at Downtown Disney), I am about ready to dump the OM-D.

The AF, tracking and optical viewfinder of 1DsMKII, instills confidence that you arte obtaining/capturing the image you seek. The AF, tracking and EV blackouts and updates of the OM-D for me are pure frustrations. If the subject is not moving, hey the OM-D is fine (then again so is paper and pencil), but in evening light the Optical viewfinder, the point focusing system and the tracking of the 1Ds shoots circles around the the OM-D.

Granted, the OM-D is new to me and maybe not set-up right (I did try different AF modes, S-AF, C-AF and C-Af Tracking). The blackout time and smeary updates were significant to cause me to lack confidence that I was capturing what I desired. My present opinion of the EV is that it is a joke, a terribly expensive joke.

I haven't thrown in the towel on the OM-D, I am busy reading the manual ... but if the level of frustration continues I'm getting a 1DMKIV (or the 1D-X if it's out) for serious work and a GX1 for joking around.

Gary

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Gary, it sounds like your complaint is that the OM-D is similar to other MFT cameras in its behavior, which is not DSLR-like. Is that correct? I haven't heard anyone saying that the OM-D is a step backwards, at least.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    In essence, yes. I was hoping/excepting to be able to replace my dSLR's with the OM-D. All the hype on the OM-D got me all hot and excited ... then in the field it's ... just another mirrorless system that could not perform well in dim light with subjects that barely move.

I felt I could have captured the same images with my GF1.

Just very disappointing. I recognize that there is a possibility that all this disappointment is due to me not setting up the camera correctly or not enough OM-D experience to properly handle and understand the camera and how it works ... so I'll keep reading and trying for a while longer. As of right now, this very moment, for what I shoot, I'd take the 1DMKII over the OM-D not only any day of the week, but everyday of the week.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  10. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    I suppose, if you expect it to work exactly like a DSLR, you will always be disappointed.
    But suppose it was the other way round: You were used to the E-M5 and suddenly got a 1DmkII. What would you think about the weight, for instance? The lack of live view and a tiltable screen for those waist level or overhead shots?
    I find that I use a mirrorless camera in different ways. It's not a 1 to 1 replacement för a DSLR. It's better at some things but not as good at other things. If you only focus at those things it's not as good at, you're bound to be disappointed.

11. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    So....if you're only MF lens user (which puts AF speed and accuracy aside)...then the OMD and it's IQ is a beast of a camera even compared to older FF's, yeah?

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My opinion is there isn't a significant difference in IQ between µ4/3 and FF under normal use and print sizes (under ISO 3200 and up to 16x20).

My OM-D complaint is the EV and AF ... I think I could learn to live with and adapt to the AF and the FPS ... but until I can dial-in the proper settings to minimize the EV blackouts and the slow/smeary updates or there is a firmware update ... for what and how I shoot, the EV just doesn't work for me for serious photography.

Gary

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks for that info. I have similar equipment, and have found the same issues. The EVF blackout when I'm using the GH2, is one of my biggest gripes.

This pushes me back towards the Fuji XP1 with the hybrid VF.

14. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I find it funny on the comments of EVF blackout and low light focusing. I have found modern m4/3 (Panny is best in this regard, but the E-M5 is still very good) to be significantly faster to lock focus (and more accurate) in low light levels vs. my 1Ds II. (or the 1D II I had before, or the 30D before that).

For the EVF, make sure you have the 'high speed' turned OFF (it makes the viewfinder look horrible IMO), and that you have automatic image review turned off. If so, I find the blackout to be just fine. Not quite as short as the 1Ds II, but certainly not bad. I also find the EVF significantly easier to compose with in really dark light due to the exposure view. Then, of course, there's the IBIS, which makes shots like these possible handheld:

columbus_bridges_night.

statehouse_flags.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    This is also my biggest complaint with the M43. The blackout of the vf is beyond frustrating!

16. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Absolutely try out the XP1 before buying. I tried one in the store and the AF is absolutely abysmal. Extremely slow and not particularly easy to lock. Also, live view freezes during focusing (so you start to focus, the view freezes, it locks, then the updated focused image displays). That isn't an issue when using the OVF, but it's still a big issue.

17. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Thanks for the tips. Will check my settings.

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks, I suspect that I'll probably wait it out for another generation.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Me too ...

20. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I turned the image review off and have seen a big improvement. Still trying to find a high speed setting. (not sure if the G3 has one)

This is what makes this forum so great! Folks are so willing to help out!