1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D, viewfinder or screen?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JanW, Apr 8, 2015.

1. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

I am about to buy an E-M10 to replace my current GF6, mainly because of problems with the wireless flash. But I think it has lots of other benefits like a viewfinder and IBIS.
    I was wondering if the presence of a viewfinder will bring me back to the old DSLR habit of taking most of the shots on eye-level. I think that using the screen is one of the things I like best on the GF6 because I automatically look for the best position (height) to take a photo.
    What do the OM-D (and G/GH/GX/GM) users think of this, how often do you use the screen?

Jan

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I hardly ever use the screen, but that doesn't mean you would have to!!

The screen is nice for a here or there use case, but for me properly holding a camera for stability and sharp images is a better trade off.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If you like using the LCD on the GF6, there's nothing stopping you from doing so with the EM10. I find waist level with tilted screen to be useful. Sometimes, above the head with tilted screen is good too. When needed, we can always bring an OMD up to the face and use the eyepiece.

4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I use the EVF except when I want a shot that I can't take using the EVF. I find myself laying down, climbing on things, and doing all sorts of stuff to get the camera somewhere other than eye-level and still be able to use the EVF. The tilting screen is nice for ground-level or over-the-head shots, but I miss the fully-articulating screen from the G5 for that kind of stuff.

5. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    Although I use the viewfinder most of the times, for candid or street shots the tilted screen has proved to be very useful as people don't realize that you are taking photographs. In this cases, a very important plus is that you can focus and shot directly from the screen.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I always use my E-M1's EVF unless shooting from the hip/waist or an an awkward angle.

Barry

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I use EVF now almost exclusively.
    With OMD's that I had (EM10, EM1) EVF cup actually gets in the way if screen used tilted up from waist/chest level.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I like to take shots from the terrain level so I often use the tilted screen. As I do with the camera on the tripod. And also to do some manual "keystoning" or to avoid it. I took a few shots with BCL-9 far above my head. Or when I'm wearing glasses instead of contact lenses. Or when I do not want to dirt myself on the floor.
    Otherwise I use the EVF, sometimes kneeling down. In a sunny day EVF is often the only option.
    I disabled the eye sensor and I switch with the side button, it's quite natural to go back and forth. It's good to have both and it's worth the extra bulk. Otherwise the EPL-7 is the same camera without the EVF.

9. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I use the viewfinder almost exclusively, just as I have since the film days. For most uses, it is MUCH more stable. You just can't get good stability holding a full-sized camera out at arms length. That said, I have fallen in love with the tilt screen on my EM5 for ground- or very low-level compositions. I'm getting a little older and not having to lay down on my belly for those shots has made me a much happier camper.

Of course, when on a tripod, it doesn't really matter either way.

10. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I use the EVF whenever physically possible, but that's because I need reading glasses to see the screen but the EVF can be adjusted to match my eyes.

11. Almost never, but if I do it would mostly be in a situation where the sun was in a bad position relative to the rear screen. There is nothing inherently stable about holding a camera to your face; doing so actually places it further away from your centre-of-gravity. If you are already into the habit of searching for the best camera position with your GF6 I don't see why you would throw that away if you were to purchase a camera with a built-in eye-level EVF.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have always been a proponent of an eye level viewfinder of some sort, whether it be optical or electronic. That said, as of late I find myself primarily using the LCD on both my cameras (X100S and GX7) even though they both have very good EVFs. As you stated, its the ease of finding the right angle for taking the shot that makes using the LCD so attractive. I also like that I can simply touch the LCD to move my focus point and that the spot metering is tied to that point (at least on the GX7). I use the EVF primarily when external lighting conditions prohibit me from accurately being able to gauge what my exposure will look like. An EVF is still a nice-to-have feature and I don't know if I'd buy a camera without one, but I don't use it as much as I used to.

13. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

First, thanks for all the comments!
    I must say that I have no regrets buying a camera without a viewfinder, if the GF6 had a hotshoe I would not have looked for another camera.
    There were however some situations in the 1.5 years I used it where I missed a viewfinder.
    Obviously there were situations where it was difficult to see the LCD because of bright sunshine, mostly when light falls on the LCD from the side.
    But I missed it most when using the 4/3 70-300, it is very hard to find your target when holding the camera with your elbows pressed to your sides for stability.
    I really like the possibility to select the focus point on the LCD and of course the freedom to hold your camera where you want it. I never had problems with stability but maybe that is because my previous camera was an E-420, which means no stabilisation and I used ISO 400 at most. So the GF6 with OIS and auto ISO limited to 1600 is sheer luxury.
    I hope that I will like the E-M10 even more than my GF6. Somehow It reminds me of my Nikon F3 that I sold 10 years ago.

Jan

14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use the EVF 90%+ of the time. Only time I use the LCD is for high/low angle shots or sometimes when I need to shoot discretely.

15. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I have an E-pl5 but have the VF4 as well. I almost exclusively use the screen. Only in extreme sunlight do i go for the EVF. Even when I have the EVF mounted I prefer the screen. Tilted shooting from the hip is great, touchscreen trigger also. For macro I also use screen because it gives me more flexibility.