1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Video-Hack requests, to the new Sony NEX hacker (Someone 1.00)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fooddude, Aug 15, 2012.

1. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Hey OM-D Video-heads :biggrin:

Seems like someone is hacking the Sony NEX cameras (Someone 1.00). And, since Vitaly Kiselev has already stated/admitted in the past that he will Never hack the OM-D, I think this new hacker, Someone 1.00, is our ONLY hope now. I bet that new Nex hack will turn that thing into an APSC monster; but that's another subject and besides the point of this post... and it aint got IBIS :wink:

So here's a thread I just started on the new Nex hack boards, to see if it gets any interest:
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 video-hack request. - Hacking Project - General - Forum

Please register, write, reply, comment, request your video wishes and support, on that new Nex-Hack website/forum, and let him know...I am sure we can rock the boat and stir some interest :thumbup:

We really need an OM-D hack Bad :2thumbs:

For us OM-D video-heads, we need:
    ~ 24p!!!
    ~ Higher bitrates and quality!!! (20mbps is really too low)
    ~ Better compression and codecs
    ~ Ability to use IBIS with Adapted/Non-Native lenses in Video-Mode

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Honestly just an option for 44 Mbps would make such an enormous difference to this camera. The image quality in video noticeably struggles on even moderately complex scenes.

3. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Yes, the quality while panning or movement suffers in artifacts, blocks, rough edges and is not as crisp.

edit:

dangit...looks like he already replied and said he doesn't even have much time for the Nex's :(

Oh well... maybe one day there will be a hacker that loves the OM-D (and it's awesome IBIS) and will hack it! :)

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Your hacker already declined.

wamp womp

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Even though Oly, Pany & Sony could implement the improvements you listed rather quickly, I figure that for marketing reasons they will not do so. Instead, for maximum sales volume reasons I believe they will implement the improvements in an incremental fashion over a period of years. That way they can motivate a substantial portion of the public to discard their existing cameras and buy new ones with each incremental improvement in video quality. So I'm not sure what your plan to "rock the boat and stir some interest" will accomplish in the way of motivating Oly, Pany or Sony to implement your listed improvements quickly, though I guess it could motivate a hacker. And will the hacks truly greatly improve everyday video quality or only extreme low light quality?

6. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I'd be satisfied with a hack to add additional possible options on the Fn1/Fn2 buttons, like some of those available on the flash mode/drive mode buttons. :(

7. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
  8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Am I the only one that finds it surprising that a forum dedicated to Canon DSLR cameras is sponsoring a NEX hacking effort?

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    EOSHD hasn't been dedicated to Canon in years, in no small part because its owner Andrew Reid is pretty goddamn pissed off at Canon over how they're handling video. He's a big big GH2 advocate, actually.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love IBIS in video with MF glass!

11. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    IBIS Video = King

12. ISO1600

ISO1600 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Chris
    joining this party a little late, but the few things I'd love for video:

1) IBIS w/ manual lens
    2) 24p
    3) higher bitrates/4.2.2

13. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    did Vitaly ever say why he won't hack Olympus?

14. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I totally agree... these are the TOP-3. If the OM-D had these, it would be an unbeatable video-cam for street/casual/run&gun (or anything else really), as it's the only camera with a very usable 5-axis IBIS for Video.

15. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Yes, he stated in another forum long ago. He is totally not interested in the OMD, and is primarily focused on Pana GH cameras, for good.