OM-D Video and audio not synced

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by (G), Jul 20, 2012.

1. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Has anyone else noticed this? The video and audio on videos shot by the OM-D don't sync up -- the audio is about 5 frames ahead of the video.

Is there any reason this should happen? And outside of unlocking the video and audio and manually moving the audio, is there anything I can do about it?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    don't have a OMD... well I do have one.. but not got my hands on it yet... Are you sure its not an issue with your video editing app ( no idea how you would know its 5 frames without one :)) Maybe a 44/48kHz issue?

K

3. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I tried it two ways:

I transferred the MOV from the OM-D's SD card to my computer desktop and double-clicked it. Windows 7 brought up a video viewer and played the movie. At that point I could see that the audio and video weren't perfectly synced.

So I brought the movie into Premiere Elements 9 and played it and it appeared the same way. That's when I adjusted the audio. Things sync up when the audio is pushed back by 5 frames.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I've only done about a dozen or so short (7 min. or less) videos and never had that problem. Sounds like it's something you're doing in editing.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK I am a Mac guy myself... so can't offer PC solutions... not familiar with those apps... but they may have an audio option for 44 or 48 kHz as the audio sampling rate... indeed it might be related to your audio card... there may be prefs related to that

Are these clips out of sync straight away or do the drift over time?...do they get worse over time?

give me a week or so and I will have my OMD and see if i can replicate the problem

k

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Can you take the output direct from the camera into a regular television and see if the camera is playing it back ok?

7. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I can't answer that myself because I've only shot about an hour's worth of video, and only the first minute of one clip had someone on-screen talking. I'll have to experiment with that.

That's a great idea. I don't have the cable to do that right now, unfortunately.