OM-D users: jpg or raw?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigbluebear, Jul 2, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Historically, I've always shot raw. However, I've read that the jpg quality out of the OM-D is pretty good.

How many users are saving in jpg instead of raw?

For those of you that do both, I'd be interested in your workflow. I've always saved in raw and kicked out jpgs after processing. I don't see the advantage of saving in jpg + raw unless your camera accepts two cards and you have a wifi card in one slot so that clients can preview pictures on an ipad.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Raw for me. As colorful and vibrant oly jpegs look, it smears dark shadows and sometimes put black artifacts in them. Since i crop heavily, these anomalies become noticeable. So I just use LR to outout jpegs.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Both of course. What does it really cost you to do it that way? 90% of the time I will end up tweaking the RAW file (more latitude), but every once in a while the JPG colors are just so perfect and I prefer that one.

Like everything in life, choices are good!

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    RAW here and use the Huelight color profiles in Lightroom.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    +1 That's my starting point anyway... followed by other customized tweaks.

I used to shoot JPEG only, but now that I have switched to RAW, I don't feel the need to keeep a SOOC JPEG, which only takes up storage space on my computer...

6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It's an old habit from when I was a news shooter, but I shoot JPEGs...I hate PP, and for most of the stuff, the JPEGs are fine. HOWEVER...lately, I've been shooting JPEG for 90% and JPEG and RAW for the 10% that I think I might end up hanging on a wall one day.

7. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Both for me. My workflow is too cumbersome, but right now:
    - Download photos (Raw and JPEG) into a desktop folder.
    - Go through JPEGs to find the keepers (5-10 percent), deleting everything else.
    - Import the Raw versions of the keepers through Lightroom into a permanent location (a Pictures folder named for the month/year).
    - Edit these Raws in Lightroom, output the JPEGs for the best of them.

Often I'll compare my JPEG version to that from the camera. It used to be 80-20 the camera was better than me for processing, but I'm getting better at Lightroom and find I'm developing my own style, so it's shifted the other way now.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Professionally I shoot jpg, and personally I shoot raw.

Why do I shoot my pro shots using jpg? Because I can process a jpg much faster in Photoshop (I average a minute per image)...it just takes too long for raw images to load and develop in Photoshop and Lightroom.

And before you say it, because of the cropping, resizing, and tweaking I do it's IMPOSSIBLE to do it in a batch...I'd still have to go through EACH image and process it MANUALLY!

My personal images I put a lot more work into them, and that's why I use raw for that.

9. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    + 1

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've found that too! I started doing some RAW to JPEG and found the camera did a better job, so I gave up...I've got too much going on these days haha...when I move back to Canada and I'll have more time, I'll teach myself how to process RAW properly...

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    shoot raw only

all import, selection and PP done exclusively in Aperture

import whole card directly to Aperture, into a new or existing project.

Set file to be stored in Pictures folder (Not the default Aperture Library) in a folder structure based on Year/Month/Day - Aperture allows you to do this as well as more complex file structure.

While still importing I will start to go through the images, marking them either as rejected (press the 9 key) or 5 star ( press the 5 Key) for the ones that look particularly worthwhile.

When import is finished, and I have gone through the images once, I view the rejected ones and select all and delete (To completely delete them, you have to empty the Aperture trash, at which point they are then sent to the System trash... delete them from the system trash and they will finally be gone forever

Go through the images a second time, refining my keepers selection, and again delete any hopeless cases.

View just the 5 star images and start PP. I work pretty quickly with most images, only a couple of minutes on each if that.

Share to Flickr or email from within Aperture, or export Jpg to desktop or Dropbox as needed. Sometimes sync to iPad through iTunes, though I have started to use a 2 dollar app called Photosync.

Used this way Aperture is very fast - I have often imported 6-700 images, selected the 50 best, done PP and shared within a couple of hours

See no reason to shoot RAW plus JPEG, as the camera generate a jpeg preview anyway, and Aperture will generate one anyway on the fly

Oh and my whole machine is backed up constantly to a time capsule, and I am about to implement an automatic regular back up of my pictures folder and Aperture library to another disk

cheers

K

12. Raw is the best way to tone down the cartoony Olympus colour palette.

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    First off you dont need two card slots for a jpeg + RAW workflow. The eye-fi card can be set to just download just jpegs from a jpeg+RAW card to your ipad. And, of course, Lightroom can be set to only include RAW from a jpeg + RAW SD card.

I also use the jpegs for more than just previewing on the ipad. Using an App called Photosmith (which got a justified bad reputation when it was released due to crashes but now works very well) you can select and tag the photos that you wish to process from within the App (say by stars). Then you can sync the metadata in the jpegs to your Raws in Lightroom via wifi when you get back to your PC.

This saves an enormous amount of time. I have typically sorted all my photos from a shoot by the time I have got back home.

14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The noise processing of in-camera jpegs is too aggressive for me, even at it's lowest setting -- ie. "off".

15. ariel777

ariel777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Raw for me...it's a habit that perhaps should re-evaluated (as I am new to 4/3rds). As a Nikon shooter there was really no issue.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Both. Raw for anything that gets printed or posted online (or nearly), but jpg for sharing the snapshots. My ideal on canon is a raw plus a 6mp jpg file

17. Richard Ripley

Richard Ripley Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010
    Monrovia, CA
    Raw only.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Both, then I open the jpg's first and then delete both the jpg's and corresponding Raw's that were bad shots. Then I end up mainly with RAWs that are keepers.

19. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    JPEG+RAW, but for different reasons than most here. The tendency is to shoot jpeg if you don't like PP and/or like Oly colors, RAW if you have your own color preferences or just want more control. I'm a bit peculiar.

There were just too many times I couldn't help but feel olympus shot out colors I liked more than I could easily muster with RAW(and I consider myself above average with PP). Even more surprising: I use pre-made and customized filters from VSCO and AlienSkin for a more film-like aesthetic, and these looked much better applied to oly jpegs than on RAW files without a lot of tweaking.

I originally made 16bit TIFFs from RAWs using Olympus Viewer to import into Lightroom and get the best of both worlds, but for some stupid reason this strips photos of their EXIF info, uses a lot more space, and takes a lot more time. So I decided to work directly from the jpegs. Since most of my images go to the web, I don't care much about the tiny loss of detail; you usually won't notice it until you go to sizes larger than 1920px wide. I do care about the loss in latitude, but if I need to I'll simply pull out the RAW and match the colors of the jpeg (which is possible, just takes a lot more time than it's worth 90% of the time).

Some example shots from jpegs, all PP'd, some quite heavily. I'd say these are rather pleasing colors and acceptable details and sharpness (particularly for online viewing). Not to mention I saved a ton of processing time.

9186676766_ea661c5275_z.
    Cincopuntos by napilopez, on Flickr

9184454699_50107265d2_z.
    moma-17 by napilopez, on Flickr

(ISO 2000)
    9186676226_39626d6b96_z.
    Daniel by napilopez, on Flickr

8692550383_8669ccfecd_z.
    many-52 by napilopez, on Flickr

8693668146_486a9edef9_z.
    many-65 by napilopez, on Flickr

8692547485_dbd833663f_z.
    many-8 by napilopez, on Flickr

8688224990_8877ae8020_z.
    042713--2 by napilopez, on Flickr

8692549131_797a5c1fe4_z.
    Wise Nature by napilopez, on Flickr

20. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    I shoot JPEG + RAW, although if I get the shot right, I find very little need or desire for any post processing.

I DO use the RAW files for HDR exclusively, tho.