1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D stolen -__-. Beware if buying used!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stephography, Nov 12, 2012.

1. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Super bummed about it too. As I was shooting an event in Studio City on Saturday, I set my camera down for a few minutes to grab a drink and use the bathroom. I put it behind my photo booth set up, and when I came back it was gone. I probably shouldn't have left it there, given the catering staff had access back there too (it was a wedding-- I doubt any of the guests would take it, but that could be naivety on my part). Anyways, I filed a report with the venue (Sportsmen's Lodge off of Ventura Blvd) and have been checking in everyday since it was stolen with no luck.

If you guys are in the market for an OM-D, make sure you ask questions about it if you're getting it used! Mine was silver, had the PL25 on it with a Gariz black leather half case and a Gordy strap (with red threads). My eye-fi pro card was also in it, so I'm hoping I'd be able to track it down somehow through that avenue. If you guys see something similar on Craigslist or elsewhere, please let me know! If there are other methods of tracking it down, I'd like to know as well.

Thanks for reading guys, if I'm not able to get my OM-D back, I guess I'll have to resign to getting another :(

EDIT: Serial Number, for those wondering: BF3506490

• Like Like x 1
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ah man, sorry to hear that - I really hope it turns up for you!

Coincidentally I was just thinking about your work this weekend. Some friends on an exceedingly tight budget asked me to take some photos for their "save the date" cards and I was reminded of your excellent work with engagement shoots. Unfortunately my feeble efforts weren't in the same league as yours :tongue:

Good luck with getting your camera back, I think it's safe to say that whoever has it won't be putting it to as good a use as you were!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry to hear that, Steph! I know this probably won't make you feel any better, but that's one thing I love about the small system is how much easier it is to keep your gear on you without leaving it around. I try to keep my bags on my shoulder and my cameras around my neck now. With big pro-grade DSLRs it was simply inevitable that they had to be put down constantly.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, there's this:

Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera

uses the EXIF data that holds the camera serial number as a search on the web.

I can't attest from personal experience on cameras, but have used something similar to track stolen laptops before I retired from I.T.

If you don't have your camera serial number available you can register one of your own photographs with EXIF data and the database can use that as a serial number source.

Sorry you lost the gear - maybe homeowners insurance will cover the loss if you didn't have professional gear insurance???

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey bro, sorry to hear that! I'm LA local, so I'll keep an eye out if I hear or see anything.

6. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    didnt work for me yet
    mine was stolen in my home while i was sleeping...
    it was easier to find my car, they burned it

but worse the em5 i bought since isnt working properly ( level gauge ) i have to send it back to olympus...

edit : mine had also the 25mm on it... bad luck lens...

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeah, it only works if the user of the camera posts pics on line with the EXIF data and if the spot they post is 'searchable'; posting onto a private website probably wouldn't show any results.

It's more predictable with computers - sooner or later they'll connect to the Internet and get busted. (Yes, I know there are some ways around tracking a stolen p.c. on the 'net - but generally thieves sell off the gear and the new user doesn't take the necessary precautions...).

Bad luck on the EM-5 - hopefully Olympus will have a quick turn-around time on the service required.

Regards,

Jim

8. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    If it helps, you might want to check Craigslist and eBay. There's not that many for sale, chances are if he's dumb enough to put it up immediately you'll recognize it.

Any distinguishing features you know of besides the accessories? Scratches, bumps, etc.?

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Man that really sucks. I would speak with the manager at the Sportsman Lodge to see if their insurance would cover the loss and also make an official police report. The pawn shops are required to forward serial numbers to police on cameras and stuff.

Sorry,
    Gary

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Very sorry to hear about that - but without a serial number, it's impossible to help (or to avoid buying it). :frown:

11. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Thanks for all the tips guys. Gonna be going through the options you guys left me here! I have high spirits and I'm just glad they didn't take anything else.

Would it be safe to post up my serial here? Not sure how that would affect me detrimentally, but its probably better to ask than to assume since I've made that mistake already lol.

12. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm in the LA area, I'll keep an eye out for anyone selling a used OM-D or PL25. I'm also in need of a wedding photographer, I'll have to check out your site.

13. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    I'm sorry that happened to you. That sucks... :p

14. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Bad luck, sorry, hate to hear about that.
    Best bet is to keep serial numbers of ALL your equipment in a safe place just in case of this event.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have to repeat: without the serial number, none of us can do anything for the OP. Whether the OP wants to post the s/n or not is up to him, but it's hard to see how it could result in any further loss for him. :frown:

16. Read a while back of a method of finding a camera via its photos if posted on the web. Seems it tracks info about the camera used along with posted with the picture. I do not remember the name.

17. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

i would think they would more than likely pawn it at a local shop there or near Hollywood. I would call and check out the few shops there and see if it was pawned or not.

18. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Sorry to hear that, I live just a couple of miles from the location you indicated. I had my Canon bag with 100mm macro lens stolen at a restaurant along the same Ventura Blvd earlier in the year. Hopefully you have some kind of home/renters insurance that would cover it. I bet they liked your Gariz shiny case......

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

sorry about what happened but this thread is useless without serial numbers....

20. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sucks man... You might want to see what kind of setting within eye-fi software you have. there maybe a find feature.