1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Om-d some detailed questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rdoe, Apr 29, 2013.

1. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Hi, after my excellent gx-1, I have now purchased an om-d, but that leaves me with a few question that I can't seem to find in the settings or on the Internet. Can you help me...

1. Can you adjust exposure comp in the evf without the menu/icon on the bottom and side appearing?

2. Is there a way to use the exposure lock with the lock in spot focus instead of the metering that is currently used?

3. Any way in full time is even when the shutter is not half pressed?

4. Play photos in the evf without auto switch evf set to off?

Ow well that is it for now...

Thanks ... :)

2. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Not sure on some of these, but for #2 you can go into the menu and have a button assigned for exp lock. I have it assigned to the Fn2 button on top since it's somewhat close to the * button on my last camera, which was AE lock. It basically uses the center focus point and you press the button to lock the exposure. Not sure if that answers #1 too or not, I'm not really understanding that question.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    1. Can you adjust exposure comp in the evf without the menu/icon on the bottom and side appearing?
    Not that I've found.​

2. Is there a way to use the exposure lock with the lock in spot focus instead of the metering that is currently used?
    Again, not that I'm aware of. You need to change the metering mode first. Maybe you could assign Fn1 to swap the metering? Worth a try.​

3. Any way in full time is even when the shutter is not half pressed?
    Huh?​

4. Play photos in the evf without auto switch evf set to off?
    Nope - I think this borders on a bug in the firmware​

Looks like you've found some of the limitations!

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    #4 really bugs me after coming from many Panasonic cameras and being used to just sticking the thing up to my eye and seeing what's on the screen. Often times I want to review a photo in the EVF for the same reasons I compose in the EVF (too sunny, easier to see detail, etc).

5. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    #2 is definitely possible, it's how mine is set up. You need to change the ael/afl metering, can't remember where it is in the menu though. If nobody else has chimed in, I'll dig through the menu in the morning.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

6. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks! Point 2 and 4 are very important functions for my style of shooting. I would love to hear how to setup point 2. I guess IBIS is only active when shutter button is half pressed. Would love to see an all time stabilized evf.

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Could you restate #3 so that we can attempt to answer?

8. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    All time stabilized evf

I guess IBIS is only active when shutter button is half pressed when the function is enabled in the menu. Would love to see an all time stabilized evf.

9. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

#1 - not sure if this is what you meant but if you have a control wheel mapped to exposure comp, only the current value is displayed and you don't need to use the control panel to adjust it. Gears menus - button/dial.
    #2 - yes, in one of the gears menus, AEL metering mode.
    #3 - not possible. full-time AF is possible, but not full-time IS.
    #4 - unfortunately not possible. When you press the play button, the preview will always be displayed on the rear display first, you need to press the evf side button to switch it to the evf - but never straight away when you press the play button.

10. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    For #2, menu- gears E- ael metering (3rd option) you can keep the regular metering on whatever you want and change the ael to spot.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

11. SteveG

SteveG Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    NJ
    #4 is kind of possible....
    You have to turn off the auto evf (hold down the display button on the side of the evf). Once that's done, press the playback button to see the image in the lcd then press the display button again. Very hacked together but if you're in a situation where the LCD is washed out it works...

This and the lack of a pinpoint focus box are 2 of my biggest gripes with this camera.

12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Fully agree on both. The pinpoint focus box can be kind of achieved in magnify mode when used without magnification (info+wheel changes the magnify box size and that's where it focuses) but I've never verified if it actually works properly. Shame though because a smaller AF point theoretically means less computation work. Maybe in newer models - I think the E-M5 firmware is now in feature freeze mode :)

13. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks on the ael spot lock. I found it. Also found the playback option in evf, but with this setting I lose the settings display on the LCD screen. Oww well...

14. SteveG

SteveG Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    NJ
    Yea, the magnify thing seems to be a bit hit or miss so I'm not totally convinced it works either. It's a shame because Panasonic has implemented this 'feature' seamlessly. I'm not holding my breath for any more firmware updates that aren't bug fixes... oh well