OM-D slow switch-on

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dansunotori, Sep 8, 2012.

1. dansunotori

dansunotori Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    It surely switches the rear LCD on in a second but it takes the rest of the camera a few seconds more to become usable. My Canon S100 loads quicker.

Are there any settings affecting the switch-on time?

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Your CanonS100 doesn't have a sensor cleaner & this is part of the Olympus cameras start up, to shake any dust off the sensor before using it. People have complained about this in the past, but it is a very successful system in keeping dust off the sensor.

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Some systems run the sensor cleaning upon shutdown rather than startup. I'd rather have the delay when shutting down...

4. Ross the fiddler

You would rather shake the dirt off after you've taken the photo? :confused: That's a bit like closing the gate after the cows have escaped. I'm not sure, but I think the E-M5 might do it at shut down too, but I know I would want a clean sensor before I start taking photos & since it is best to have the camera (E-M5) off when changing the lenses it makes sense to have it that way.

5. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Actually yes. Having a quick start up time is much more important to me then sensor cleaning. In that two or three seconds my subject could move, the light could change, a lot of things could happen.

That start up delay is one of the main reasons I can't stand point and shoots and switched to DSLR's. To me it's a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Good point - assuming there's dirt to be shaken off! If you're in a dusty environment and/or you leave the internals exposed for an extended period, then you'd want that sensor cleaning frequently. In less harsh conditions, not so critical IMHO.

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Not me. I change lenses with my camera off, so I want anything that might have gotten in taken care of at startup. And my E-M5 is ready to use almost instantaneously, within a second, which I don't consider a long wait.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ross the fiddler

I'm glad there is someone else that thinks the same as me on this (not that that is important), because that is obviously the camera's designers thinking. I'm not one of these guys that like to have a sensor cleaning kit in my bag that needs to be used frequently.

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'd never noticed a slow start-up on my EM5. Guess I'm used to cameras that clean their own sensors. :smile:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

• Like Like x 1
  10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    In defense of the position I took re cleaning at shutdown, it was based on the apparently flawed assumption that the cleaning procedure took an inordinate amount of time to complete. If that were true, one might be faced with a choice: miss a great photo op waiting for the camera to complete its cleaning chores, or get the photo and have dust spots to remove in post-processing. That's a no-brainer - get the shot! Lightroom, Photoshop, PS Elements, even some iPad apps will remove spots without any fuss.

But as the OMD cleans in a jiffy, you can have your cake and eat it too: a clean sensor and the photo of a lifetime! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Perhaps the best solution for wether or not the sensor cleaning should start at beginning or ending is if Olympus add the feature for user to choose it them self. But I support the cleaning on start up nevertheless. By the way I never found that the auto clean slowing the start up.

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I think you guys are panicking for every single small little thing you can find in your cameras. Personally, I think the cleaning sensor thing in the OMD, is WAYYYYY better that the one i had on my 5dmkii (if that means something to someone else).

If im shooting quick action when light changes within a second or two, i dont shut the camera off in the first place, i have it at sleep, and with most of my lenses, except for the p20 the wake up is almost instantaneous, i dont how much faster do you need em to be.

also if you guys can tell how many nano-seconds this camera turns faster than the other one, you might need more time outside shooting instead IMHO.

13. Near instant startup would be at the top of a very short list of things that I preferred about my DSLR (if you give me a while I might think of something else to add to add to that list as well). It was good to be able to compose without the camera being on and wake it straight away with a half press on the shutter button.

I'm not even sure if the sensor cleaning is solely to blame. The camera also has to activate the electronic display and in the case of an Olympus, start the IBIS as well.

P.S. Didn't Panasonic appropriate the same SSWF system from Olympus as well?