OM-D Settings and samples?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mu4stevie, Oct 15, 2012.

1. mu4stevie

mu4stevie New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012
    Hello, new user - my OM-D comes tomorrow!

After a lot of research I decided to get the Olly; but I also read a lot saying it takes a while to setup and get the settings right?

Would anyone be so kind enough to share their 'settings' - along with a sample or two - or a oink to their portfolio so I can see if they suit my eye.

I am unsure what settings these would be, but it's something that has cropped up in a lot of forums.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  3. mu4stevie

mu4stevie New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks - yes I had already bookmarked that, looks like a good start.

4. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    New OM-D user myself

Congrats on getting an OM-D. I just bought one this weekend, myself!! :dance3: It's a beautiful little camera.
    I should mention I do have an Oly XZ-1 so the OM-Ds menus and controls already had some level of familarity to me. When I first started up my camera yesterday all the features and levels of customization available were a little daunting to me-but after reading through the numerous set-up threads, manual etc. by late last night I felt like I had more of a grasp on things, at least enough to be able to start snapping pictures in the A/S/M modes.
    Helpful tips for me so far:
    1) https://www.mu-43.com/f42/how-set-up-om-d-29972/ is a great starting point, particularly Gary Aytons OM-D wiki and the DPReview thread mentioned above.

2) The electronic version of the manual(on CD or download) has much more in it than the paper copy-plus it's a .pdf so you can use the Search function to find things.

3) Take your time! Don't go too crazy changing everything with the customization right away. Learn how to use various features and customization as YOU need for your own personal picture-taking needs over time and don't feel like you have to learn or change everything immediately in one night!!

One other thing I should mention: upgrading to the latest version of Firmware 1.5 really quiets the camera down to almost silent, than with the earlier version it shipped with (either 1.1 or 1.2 I can't remember what version it said before I upgraded). Made a pretty loud humming sound with the old FW-which is a known issue-if you were wondering about this. Oh and you have to do 2 FW updates: first to FW 1.4 and then 1.5.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've posted a table of my settings.

Sample images from 2 weeks ago (note: these are from RAW, so JPEG settings don't really make much difference).

• Like Like x 4
  6. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for posting settings dhazeghi- I'll add to my collection of OM-D reference. Gave me some reassurance on my own line of thinking for a couple items. Nice pics too!

7. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    There are a lot of settings for the OMD being posted on different sites. I have read quite a few of them and have used some of their settings. I can say that I like all of your suggestions and have set some of them up on both of my OMDs.

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
  9. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
  10. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    Table of button assignments?

Someone posted a table that summarized what functions could be assigned to each button. I cannot find the post. Can someone point me in the right direction?

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, yes, yes. Take your time.

Gary