OM-D sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noelh, May 18, 2012.

1. Does the OM-D have a option on one of the menus for sensor cleaning like the panys? Does it auto clean the sensor when powering up?
  2. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    I think Olympus kind of invented that. Pretty sure it happens every time you turn it on. I don't recall an option to turn it off, so I think you don't have to even think about it, the sensor dust shake just happens.
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    it happens on start-up...the reason for the slight delay.
  4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Yup. And Nikon and Canon laughed.
  5. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

And didn't we all laugh at Canon and Nikon when they implimented the cleaning cycle when you turn the camera off.

It was a hot topic at the time wasn't it. All those Canon and Nikon users just couldn't see the logic of spending a small amount of extra time waiting for the camera to clean the sensor on startup. I just wonder what the ratio of lost shots is, lost because the camera was cleaning the sensor for a micro second, or lost because of a dust spot on important detail :smile:

6. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Just out of curiosity... Is the auto sensor cleaning on the EM-5 enough to keep the sensor clean?

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I change lenses frequently and have had not a dust problem with the E-M5, and I live in an arid climate. So I think it's working.