1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OM-D sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noelh, May 18, 2012.

1. Does the OM-D have a option on one of the menus for sensor cleaning like the panys? Does it auto clean the sensor when powering up?

2. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I think Olympus kind of invented that. Pretty sure it happens every time you turn it on. I don't recall an option to turn it off, so I think you don't have to even think about it, the sensor dust shake just happens.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    it happens on start-up...the reason for the slight delay.

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yup. And Nikon and Canon laughed.

5. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

And didn't we all laugh at Canon and Nikon when they implimented the cleaning cycle when you turn the camera off.

It was a hot topic at the time wasn't it. All those Canon and Nikon users just couldn't see the logic of spending a small amount of extra time waiting for the camera to clean the sensor on startup. I just wonder what the ratio of lost shots is, lost because the camera was cleaning the sensor for a micro second, or lost because of a dust spot on important detail :smile:

Steve

6. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Just out of curiosity... Is the auto sensor cleaning on the EM-5 enough to keep the sensor clean?

Cheers!

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I change lenses frequently and have had not a dust problem with the E-M5, and I live in an arid climate. So I think it's working.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.