1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D SD Card Requirements plus EyeFi opinions?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by birdie, Sep 17, 2013.

1. birdie

birdie Mu-43 Regular

I received my "new" OM-D E-M5 yesterday, still getting used to it (quite different menu system to the Canon menu :))

I'm looking at getting some SD cards, now I'm wondering what speed cards I need to look at getting, I don't want to get something too slow but I also don't want to waste money getting a super fast one that the OM-D can't take advantage of...

I'm also wondering what peoples opinion/experience is with the EyeFi cards too, tossing up whether to get some of them...

I'm going on a holiday to Bali with my wife in January so wondering if I should get some EyeFi cards so I can wirelessly transfer my photos to my iPad Mini for backup, or should I just get the iPad Camera Connection Kit (Lightning to USB or SD adaptors)

2. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    My advice is to get the camera connection kit.
    The eye-fi card is very slow transferring: you can use it to send the photos to your device while you shoot them or to transfer a selection using the protection feature, but if you shoot many pictures and want to transfer them all at once it takes a long time, this will drain your battery as well so you will need to spend more time recharging.
    Personally I prefer to use the connection kit to take the backups. I set up my eye-fi to only transfer jpegs and I shoot raw, so when I want to upload a picture on the go I use the camera raw conversion to produce the jpeg and it gets uploaded while the bulk of the pics will stay in the camera.

Regarding the speed: if you use high speed continuous shooting a fast card will come in handy, the em-5 will take advantage of it and the buffer will empty much faster.

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Tried eye-fi´s, don´t like´em. slow and tedious.

As for speed, I have 30mb/s cards that are never being used after I got the 95mb/s cards. Like fitting a turbo on the camera, writetimes are a third of the 30´s. Sandisk is reliable.

4. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Can't speak to eye-fi, but the camera connection kit for my ipad mini and OM-D E-M5 seems to work well, I have no complaints. I used it for backup and photo review on my last vacation.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I really dislike the eye-fi cards for their slow startup time. But for my 365 project, it's been awesome because I don't have to pop out the SD card daily. I can see this being useful while traveling and wanting to share stuff immediately.

HOWEVER, that's about it. If you're not doing a few transfers at a time, it can be painfully slow waiting for a full card to dump. And the $50 8GB card definitely limits the E-M5 (it's only class 4 I think?). The $100 16GB card.. was just too much IMO, heh.

6. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    If you want a wireless solution, personally I prefer the Toshiba Flashair card- it has an iOS app that makes it easy to transfer just the pics you want (you can select the ones to download in the app). You don't have to go through the hassle of write protecting images to transfer them- and the app doesn't just magically start importing pics from your camera, you decide when that happens.

With that said, unless you need the pics right after shooting them, I agree with the others that the camera connection kit is a better way to go (and honestly I'd go ahead and get that anyway). Not only can you plug SD cards into your iPad, but you can also plug most cameras with the USB port (it comes with both).

7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    FWIW, the plastic shell on my 10 month old EyeFi X2 Pro disintegrated today. That's never happened to any of my other cards.

8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    So, I wrote to EyeFi and they are mailing me a replacement - it's 10 months old. Great customer service!

9. birdie

birdie Mu-43 Regular

As they should... it should have at least a 12 month warranty...